Newbie questions: Metering valve flow directional? And is this regulator ok?

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
Hey folks, I'm new here. I was lurking around here when I came across this on ebay:

attachment.php

It's a Concoa 312-2331. Purchase price was $25+ shipping.

I know I'll have to swap the bottle stem to a CGA-320 fitting but other then that this should be perfect right? Anyone see any problems with me using this to supplement CO2?

Second, are metering valves directional like a check valve or can I install it either way? I've been contemplating a DIY bubble counter and how it will join to my metering valve. Should be interesting.

Third, are these check valves good to go? [Parker 2M-C2L-1/3-SS Stainless Steel Check Valve] The C4L series has a Cv of .73 and I heard of a few people using those. These C2L series have a Cv of about half that.

This will be going on a 100gal.

Thanks folks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Oreo;50394 said:
Hey folks, I'm new here.
Hi Oreo

Oreo;50394 said:
I was lurking around here when I came across this on ebay:

attachment.php

It's a Concoa 312-2331. Purchase price was $25+ shipping.
In the regulator thread is some additional information.

Major concerns - Your picture shows that it has a 400 PSIG low pressure gauge. If this is indeed the case, don't get it. You won't have good flow control at the low pressures that we commonly use.

The second "2" in your part number (the 4th number) indicates that it has a 0-100 PSIG gauge. This is usable. If it had the 400 PSIG gauge, the 4th number would be a "4."

Oreo;50394 said:
I know I'll have to swap the bottle stem to a CGA-320 fitting but other then that this should be perfect right? Anyone see any problems with me using this to supplement CO2?
As herns mentioned, this picture shows a CGA-320 nut and nipple.

Oreo;50394 said:
Second, are metering valves directional like a check valve or can I install it either way? I've been contemplating a DIY bubble counter and how it will join to my metering valve. Should be interesting.
Many have an arrow to show the direction of flow. Ideal 52-1-12 valves can be hooked up either way.

Oreo;50394 said:
Third, are these check valves good to go? [Parker 2M-C2L-1/3-SS Stainless Steel Check Valve] The C4L series has a Cv of .73 and I heard of a few people using those. These C2L series have a Cv of about half that.
This check valve has a cracking pressure of 0.33 PSIG. This is approximately 15 PSI. By comparison, the MCV-1BB Clippard check valves that we commonly use have a 0.5 PSIG cracking pressure with is just a tiny bit more. These check valves should be fine.
http://www.parker.com/portal/site/P...vgnextdiv=687516&vgnextcatid=1380&configtype=
http://www.clippard.com/store/display_details.asp?sku=MCV-1BB

Oreo;50394 said:
This will be going on a 100gal.

Thanks folks!
I hope this helps.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Well, according to the whole part number (312-2331-01-580) it was originally a nitrogen regulator. Looks as though the bottle nipple and that 400psi gauge have been swapped out though. Maybe I'll be lucky and not have to swap the bottle nipple if it's already the right one.

Thanks for the link to the other regulator. I sent that guy an email.

Are you saying that the check valve I listed won't work well? [Parker 2M-C2L-1/3-SS Stainless Steel Check Valve]

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
Just my opinion, but even with a 400 PSI gauge, you should be able to use that regulator. It will definitely be a challenge to adjust your delivery pressure (i.e. is that really 10 PSI or 15 PSI?), but in the end, it doesn't really matter (at least, that's what I think).

I am using a similar Victor regulator with a 400 PSI gauge on a 2.5g nano, and it has been fine for me.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
I'm not worried about the 400psi gauge at all. A replacement 60psi gauge is only $10 locally. I may even have one already buried somewhere in the basement.

It does make me wonder why someone put that 400psi gauge on that regulator though. I'm hoping the regulator it is what the part-number label says it is.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
Delivery pressure yes, but delivery pressure range? I was under the impression springs and probably other internal stuff needed to be swapped to change the delivery pressure range.

Edit to add: Ah, yea I see what he did. Adjusting the 1st stage regulator will let us really use 100% of the co2 in a tank but it will not change the delivery pressure range. So if the regulator is meant for say, a 0-400psig range (too high for us) the 2nd stage knob will adjust from 0 to the 1st stage limit very quickly, but as you keep spinning the knob through it's normal range there won't actually be any change on the 2nd stage gauge. It will just be dead band. What little adjustment you have will still feel like a 0-400psig regulator.

Edit to add: Was that REALLY a Concoa 432 series regulator? I mean holy bejesus! Where did he find that cream of the crop regulator? That's a $1000 reg! Sure would like to find one of them myself on ebay.

Last edited by a moderator: