Fissidens - rare or what?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Of course I am looking for some to buy...however

I live in FL and I see that it is native to North America and many other parts of the world. You would think it would be common if the distribution is widespread.

Yet, it seems very hard to purchase....except from Asia.....

I am doing more research on native distribution and maybe I can drive to a locale and legally harvest some which sounds like fun....

Any info or links are appreciated.

C

CL_

It's native to KY, I know that. :D
Just saw a bunch of it at the lake yesterday. However, it was a state park and couldn't collect any legally. I have seen it in other streams coming out of the Appies about 45 minutes from my house, though.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Willow moss...........I saw a lot in our lakes here, Isotese as well.
Looks like fissidens, but is not.

I have some, it grows slower than some mosses, but it cooks a long pretty good for me.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi dutchy,

That is one of those based in Singapore or Malaysia. I tried them some months back and it did not work out well...

I think it is funny that it:

a) apparently is found in many local areas reachable by hobbyists
b) everyone on the web forums wants to buy it
c) it appears to be available online mostly from Asia

I think someone should just grow a 150 gal tank and fill it with this stuff.. they would make a fortune apparently.

I did get a lead from Wet to someone over at APC that I contacted and am awaiting pricing info and availability..

I hope to get enough to start two batches. One in the c02 display and one in the non c02 tank..

I will keep you posted.

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
I must say that since i switched over to a regular dose of ferts (NPK + micros + fe) the stuff is starting to grow nicely. Will post some pics of my current tank this weekend. Just trimmed though.

chad320

Prolific Poster
Jun 1, 2010
Illinois
Ive had some for a long time in a tank w/o co2 and it grows soooo slow that I can hardly tell if its grow at all over a months time. If its native to the US, then is it still fontanus that the Asian market sells? If its the same then wheres those stream in KY at? Im planning a vacation.....

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well I have some portions coming in from two different sources.....

I will place most in the EI/C02 tank and some in the non c02, no fert, 45...

I will post my results.....