Thread: Cloudy Water

1. Cloudy Water

It began after a 3 1/2 day blackout and 80% water change on account of GSA. Fortunately the GSA is gone, but the water has a definite milky haze to it. After 5 days and another 80% water change, it is back again, although not quite as much as before. Is this a bacterial bloom, and do I simply wait it out?
    Incidentally, my Parrot's Feather, Rotolo Macranda, and Wisteria all grew quite well during the blackout. When I uncovered the tank, they were all tall and folded up, looking much like they do near the end of their normal photoperiod.

Smile Probably Nothing, But...

Hi,

If it is white, it is a bacterial bloom…

• Not usually a big deal, it should run its course in a couple of weeks.

A bit odd for a mature tank, anything else going on, filters so forth?

What changes did you make to prevent the return of the BGA?

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

3. It was actually GDA, not GSA as I had mentioned. It began when I lowered my light from 4" above the water to 2". Have since raised it back up. At 4", and with increased dosing of nitrates, both the water and the glass had been quite clear before.

Red face GSA, BBA, BGA ,TSA, LSMFT Who Can Keep It All Straight

Hi Frank,

Then the water ought to clear on its own in a bit…

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-wjw...ng_into_party/

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

5. Thanks Biollante.