Thread: Whats eating my Blyxa?

Whats eating my Blyxa?

So I'm getting closer to switching over from a 120gal to a new 190gal. I will not be moving all current fish into the 190, especially if some of them are eating the blyxa. I never see it happen, but all the blyxa are stump basically, been in tank a couple months, good light and CO2 so they should be fine, other plants are fine.

List of possible culprits:

Standard rummy nose school
    clown loaches
    Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki
    Bleeding heart tetra school
    bristle nose plecs (albino, long finned)

Any ideas on a possible blyxa eating beast?

Smile Send In the Clowns

Hi Mark,

You have a couple of usual suspects, me I think the Clowns are the odds on favorites.

<font size="2"><span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE3dLzIYKs8">

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Thanks B, and nice video!

rummy nose, i got rid of mine, i saw them in action, problem solved
    hani

Smile Suspects Galore

Hi,

Problem is Mark has three definite and two probable culprits.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

so i'm guessing the 3 are:

clowns
    Rummy nose
    Bleeding heart?

Smile A Rummy Lot That

Hi Mark,

Certainly, you have the big three, though all five are in the “usual suspects” list.

A smart person reminded me today that Hani’s choice is the better bet, since the Clowns tend to rip things out. However, that depends a bit on size.

The bristlenose pleco’s when properly fed will rarely bother your plants, but they need algae, par boiled zucchini, squash, peas and I have found they really like green beans.

The Dwarf Chain Loaches, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, are mostly meat eaters but if you do not provide them with, cucumber and par boiled squashes, generally the same stuff your Bristlnoses need, they will dine on whatever is tender.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."