Thread: Replacing 30" Coralife for 29 Gallon Tank

Replacing 30" Coralife for 29 Gallon Tank

I have a standard 29 gallon tank in my office. Over the past two years I've been lighting it with the 2x18W 30" T5NO Coralife light fixtures. I have two fixtures over the tank for a total of 4 bulbs. For the first year or so the lighting worked great. More recently I've had problems with the bulbs burning out in a matter or two or so months. I got a replacement fixture from Coralife and purchased a new fixture, but I am still having reliability issues and going through bulbs at an unsustainable rate. I'd like to switch light fixtures.

The amount of light I have right now is ideal. I can grow just about anything I want (now that my CO2 problem is fixed), but it's not such a crazy amount of light I have to do constant maintenance.

Currently, the two light fixtures are inside a slatted wood canopy, and are just an inch or so above the surface of my tank. The main criteria I have for the new lighting is it MUST fit inside the current canopy configuration - so a lot of the light fixtures with fans on both ends will not work because the hot air will not exhaust with the fixture so physically close to the canopy.

I am not afraid of DIY - I looked at the 1x55W AH Supply kit, but I'm not thrilled at the idea of a 24" light lighting a 30" tank. Would 2 X 55W fixtures staggered work, or will this be way too bright? Is there a better way to go all together?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Zebra Plecos - 7 x L046 (4M/3F) + Fry !!!
    L144 x 2
    LDA25 X 5
    I haven't met too many plecos I didn't like...

Smile the silence is deafening

Hi,

Since it is working, I would not mess with it.

I am thinking the lack of response speaks volumes…

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

That's odd since this appears to be a systemic issue....
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5no-30-a.html
    Zebra Plecos - 7 x L046 (4M/3F) + Fry !!!
    L144 x 2
    LDA25 X 5
    I haven't met too many plecos I didn't like...

Hi mistern2005,

Two thoughts, is it the fixture? Could it possibly be the bulb manufacturer that is causing the problem? If you have been using the same bulb type / manufacturer you might try a different bulb manufacturer and see if you get a different results.

If it were me, and I had a canopy, I would install an AH Supply kit; I put one of their 1X55 watt kits on a 29 gallon. They use quality Fulham Workhorse ballasts in their kits and the MIRO 4 reflectors are amazing - providing measurably better PAR values than standard reflectors. They are easy to install and come with diagrams and instructions.

Here is my 30 gallon (36" long) with a 2X36 AHS Kit
    Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 04-30-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Roy
    45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Pressurized CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
    Greater Seattle Aquarium Society

Red face Mea Culpa... Mea Culpa...

Hi,

Sorry for the misread on my part.

Have you tried giving the Coralife folks a call (1 888-255-4527)?

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."