Thread: IT Datnoid acting odd...

1. IT Datnoid acting odd...

IT not moving much...

I've had my IT for a few months now and everything has been fine. Very stable when small but as it gets older he/she has become less so. I think the Peacock bass is bullying the IT, especially at feeding time.

I was ok with the IT hiding before but now it is acting very odd. It is sitting at the front of the tank, laying on the sand leaning on the glass. Before it would hide in a little rock area while swimming but this is just rediculous.

This all started when I added a HUGE piece of manzanita wood on Saturday. I went to a local manzanita grove and found the dead and very weathered stump in the grove. I rinsed it off but didn't soak or treat the wood in any way. Adding the stump was very dramatic in that it stirred up the tank real good.

My question is weather this is a symptom of stress, disease, injury or a mixture of the three. My PH, Temperature, CO2 and Nitrates are fine. When I got home yesterday the IT was in this position. I fed the fish and the IT did eat then went back to laying down. Today the IT was not interested in food and hasnt moved. The wood was very weathered so I doubt there is much tannin leaching. Manzanite is known for the low tannin leaching to begin with. Any thoughts?

I posted this on Monster Fish Keepers in addition to this site. All Datnoids AKA Siamese Tiger Fish are know for there shy and unstable nature but I'm worried about the little bugger. Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some photos:

Hiding spot before the wood addition.

Current tank set up:

IT acting funny:

Another photo of wood + IT "sleeping":

Any changes in the fish's behavior?

-
    S

3. The Tiger is doing better although he/she does revert to the said behavior from time to time. Many Datnoid owners on Monster Fish Keepers have stated that this is normal behavior for this fish. There is huge debate and speculation on what causes Datnoids to be stable one minute and hiding the next. I guess it is a behavior/personality trait that I must get used to. I changed up the hardscape yet again. Hopefully the IT will take to using one of the rocks for cover. I find that having more places for the fish to hide actually makes the fish more at ease and less shy in general.

Smile Tall Plants

Hi,

I suspect the IT Datnoid would really appreciate more plant cover.

I have never kept Datnoids, they seem similar to oddballs I have kept.

The markings are a dead giveaway; your Datnoid wants vertical plants.
    A little reading and I am pretty sure there method of stalking prey is to work their way through
    tall slender plants, perhaps Valisneria, Dwarf Sagittaria, E. tenellus and so forth.

Your Datnoid probably feels very exposed and vulnerable; this in itself is enough to cause a great deal of stress.

• Add the Peacock bass, which are rather aggressive/inquisitive, not to mention competitive and
    • I think you have the makings of stress related problems down the road.

Biollante

The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

5. I completely agree with all you have said. I'm just waiting for the plants to grow in. The plan is to eventually house them in a heavily planted tank about 250-300 gallons. Both fish get quite big (12-16 inches). Should be interesting and challenging bringing it all together. It is far from traditional but I have faith I can strike a balance.

Here are some recent photos. Tank is starting to fill in...

Smile Aggressively Inquisitive, Another Way of Saying Annoying...

Hi,

You may want to add some Vals for the time being, I suspect your Tiger is okay, though a bit stressed. Stress is dangerous in the fish world.

I think the both the Peacock bass and Tiger will like the new aquarium.

If it is possible, I would introduce the Tiger first, a two-week head start would be good, but really, anything you can give him will help.

Peacock Bass are aggressively inquisitive and can “bother” even larger fish to death.

What are you feeding them?

Biollante

The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

7. There is some small young Jungle Val that I recently put in, 3 inch tall. Another month and the tank will be pretty well filled in I'm guessing. Time will tell.

I feed them frozen silver side and blood worms. Live black worms and ghost shrimp. I really need to get them on pellets, better nutrition and easier to handle/store.

water changes............activated carbon, this should help, also, pre soak all wood and remove as much softer rot as possible.

9. I do weekly 50% water changes and follow the EI method for fertilizing. Are you suggesting activated carbon to reduce the coloring from the wood? Won't the carbon also remove desired organic nutrients?

I wish I had pre-soaked the wood but at this time pulling out the wood that is drilled to slate is the last thing I want to do.