Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling To Find Rimless

Struggling To Find Rimless

Ok, I've been all over town asking about rimless tanks, and I don't know if I like the answers I'm getting. When asked if they carry rimless tanks, and if so, what brand, the answers I'm getting are: Marineland, Oceanic, Glasscages.com. But... Marineland's web site doesn't show any rimless, Oceanic's site only has one size (36x18x21 - too tall), and Tom doesn't like glasscages.com.

So what's a guy to do? I may just have to go with a standard tank, plastic and all. Looking for a 40 B. Wish I could find something like a Mr. Aqua in town, but with shipping costs, it's a bit too pricey for me right now.

Any one care to comment on any of the three I mentioned? Or provide other suggestions that don't break the bank? As I said, I know Tom has told me he got rid of his glasscages, but if others here have them and like them, I'd like that feedback, too. Or if they really are junk, tell me that. For the cost of a rimless, I don't want to throw my money away.
    Thanks!

Tim

I would say call around to online shops, I know that Henry "Htomassini" at http://www.theplantedaquariumstore.com sells Mr. Aqua. You might chat with him to see if he could find a more affordable way to ship it to you.

I would suggest that you wait and get exactly what you want, if you are anything like me you will always regret it, or just end up buying what you really wanted later.
    Hightech 140

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Crews View Post
    I would say call around to online shops, I know that Henry "Htomassini" at http://www.theplantedaquariumstore.com sells Mr. Aqua. You might chat with him to see if he could find a more affordable way to ship it to you.
    Ok, that's a good suggestion. I'll sent him a note.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Crews View Post
    I would suggest that you wait and get exactly what you want, if you are anything like me you will always regret it, or just end up buying what you really wanted later.
    Oh to true! BUT..... sometimes the reality is "wait until later". We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback. I would still like to hear from others about Marineland, Oceanic, Glasscages, etc.
    Thanks!

Tim

Hi,

What not check out GLA as they have some rimless tanks...

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/

Glass cages is hit or miss based on whom you speak with last.....

I think Tom did not care for the seams and such is all. It obviously holds water
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

Quote Originally Posted by Gerryd View Post
    Hi,

What not check out GLA as they have some rimless tanks...

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/
    Yeah, I guess I did see those before. They have a 36x18x18, but with shipping, it's a bit more than I was hoping for. Not sure if local stores carry GLA, or if you can only order from the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerryd View Post
    Glass cages is hit or miss based on whom you speak with last.....

I think Tom did not care for the seams and such is all. It obviously holds water
    Ok, that's funny. I guess if it didn't hold water, it wouldn't be an aquarium!

I'm not looking for a Lamborghini, but I don't want a Ford Pinto, either. Somewhere in between. Maybe GC would meet my needs.

Anyone besides Tom have any experience with them?
    Thanks!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tjbuege View Post
    Maybe GC would meet my needs.
    Well, did a quick google search for reviews, and I'm VERY glad I did. First one I came across was VERY revealing:

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/cap...-builders.html

And... as I keep reading more user reviews, this is not a fluke. Occassionally there is a "happy" customer, but they almost invariably say "silicon seals were not perfect, but I don't mind" or "the plastic trim wasn't great, but it'll be covered up". Lots of that stuff. See for yourself, search "glasscages aquarium review".

I guess Tom was not being picky. I think I will steer clear of GC.
    Thanks!

Tim

I was in Petsmart today and saw a 40br sitting on the shelf and really liked the proportions. First time I had seen one in the flesh. But the second thing I noticed was how ugly the 1.5" black plastic band was around the top. Ugh.

I don't know where I'd put a 40br right now but I don't think I'd be doing it with that black plastic band.

Good luck

Jim

Anyone know anything about http://www.greatlakesaquariums.com/ ? Not a lot of reviews to be found. Not quite as pricey as Coast to Coast Aquariums. Shipping is still a tad bit. Stands look nice.
    Thanks!

Tim

I have been happy with my Mr Aqua from marine depot. I have the 12 gallon model. good dimensions, especially over a standard 10 gallon with ugly black rims.

their largest model is 48 gallons, not outrageous, but not cheap either.

10. If your into DIY you could build one yourself. I'm doing this right now with a 3'x2'x2'.

If not you could also look around for local custom tank builders. I found three within an hour of me. Not sure if pricing would work for you, but it's worth checking out.

Edit: just wanted add that a 40g breeder, being a smaller and shorter tank, would not be too tough to build yourself. The glass would be pretty light weight. Just read up on how to properly apply the silicone.
    Last edited by H Carleton; 09-30-2011 at 02:45 AM.