So just wanted to demonstrate the difference that plumbing can make in terms of flow and pump performance.
I will post some vids later.
Basically, I had three parallel 1" legs with the 3 outlets all combined into a SINGLE 1" flex and 1" fittings. These then flowed out to the tank.
This was really stupid on my part, as 3x1" legs into more 1" legs = BOTTLENECK and poor efficiency from the pump.
Here is a pic of the old setup:
So, I eliminated the combination as the mazzei leg is not in use. I then ran the NC bio direct to one outlet and the NC mech to the other.
Here is a pic of the new setup:
I then opened all the ball valves fully and removed the gutter grate from the wiers for unimpeded intake flow. I did swap for a clean NC cartridge but no way this made the difference. I know my system.
WOW is all I can say. The PSI on both NC dropped considerably, and the flow now pushes the fish all over, uproots plants, etc.
I can finally see why Jdowns told me the 3600 was too much 18 months ago
So, I had to back down on the flow quite a lot but am very happy with these improvements. All it took was proper intake and outlet pipe size and configuration.
I will most likely now for sure remove the wier walls for flow and so the stupid fish don't get back there
Am posting some few seconds vids so you can see the before/after just on the 3/4 outlets...
This should easily allow me to hook up my mazzei again but run this direct to tank as well. I can use the extra flow now to run the mazzei. We'll see but gives me more flexibility down the road.
I have a direct 1" flex/diy outlet direct from the cone distributor to the tank. I can no longer have the ball valve more than 40% open or the plants and fish will simply be blown away....Before I could open almost 100% and would be strong but nothing like this!!!!!!!
Try not to laugh too hard at my stupidity.. I knew it was an issue, just kept putting it off. Took about an hour of time and a trip to HD..
Thanks for listening. Hope someone can learn from my mistakes....