Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burkert Solenoids: gas flow direction is important in preventing leaks

Burkert Solenoids: gas flow direction is important in preventing leaks

Well, as some of you know I had to send my brand spakin' new Buna-N sealed Burkert solenoid back to the Burkert engineers in Charlotte, NC because, after installing it on my new VTS253A-1993 regulator, the gas flow would not shut off (the valve would not close).

SPecifically:

I'd power the solenoid on and gas would flow normally.
    I'd disconnect the power cable and the gas would still flow at 4+bps (The solenoid is suppose to close when the power is off and the gas flow is suppose to stop).

The leak was so bad, I could hear a hiss comming through teh solenoid when it was suppose to be shut!

It turns out, and some of you may know this (but I didn't), that despite the solenoid being called a "2-way" solenoid, it is only designed to have gas flow pass one way.

The problem according to the Burkert engineers was that I plugged my solenoid in backwards!

SO to avoid this same problem, I have decided to do another DIY to show you how to switch the solenoid around into the right position--where the gas flow is going in the right direction.

Here is what Dan sent when I asked him about the solenoid being "2-way.":

And no, the P = pressure port, the valves ore not identical on each side, the pressure side is ported to the spring on seat.

If you look at your solenoid, you will notice that it comes from the factory with an "A" and a "P" printed on the metal portion of your solenoid.

Here's what it looks like:

Gas is meant to flow from "P" (tank side) to "A"

Here is the reverse side. You'll notice "NPT" punched in the brass or stainless portion of the solenoid:

Again, gas is meant to flow from "T---->P---->N" (if you flip the solenoid over it will read "P"---------->"A"

So in certain cases, you will need to switch the solenoid around. I'll show you how in this DIY.

Here is the only tool you will need:

The first step in correctly installing your BUrkert solenoid (in the right direction) is finding the nut on the back of the solenoid:

Once you've found it, remove it with your 11 mm wrench (or small adjustable wrench):

Should look like this when you are done. There is a pronged washer just beneath the nut, but most of the time it will stay put. If it doesn't just reinstall:

Once you have it apart, this is the point you will need to think about which direction your gas flow is going. On the VTS 253 regulator and most of the regulators with left side outlets (CGA is on the right), you will need to switch this piece arount to the "NPT" side in order to have the valve in the right direction. I've done a few installs with this backwards and they have worked, but it is incorrect.

Here is the way it came from the factory:

Here is the way it needs to go:

To reinstall, just tighten the nut:

So,it went from this:

to this:

Recap:

Gas flow needs to be from the:

"P" --------> "A" direction (obverse side)
    "T---->P----->N" direction (reverse side)

6. Thanks for posting this. I had mine in the wrong direction too. It was working ok but it took to long to get and cost too much to mess up by being installed backward. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by K. Anderson View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I had mine in the wrong direction too. It was working ok but it took to long to get and cost too much to mess up by being installed backward. Thank you
    I was in the same boat. LoL I installed all of mine backwards. Since finding out, I switched all of mine in the right direction.
    Thanks iprocessmart.com (Dan) and Burkert engineers!

May I ask where and what type of power cord you are using / I got a 3/18 AWG coil and it will not slip past the screw cap so the wires are sticking out about 1/4in I can't get it any closer.

Quote Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
    May I ask where and what type of power cord you are using / I got a 3/18 AWG coil and it will not slip past the screw cap so the wires are sticking out about 1/4in I can't get it any closer.
    I bought a standard 18/3 gauge cord from americord.com.
    http://www.americord.com/6ft-power-c...-prod-906.html
    The fact that it is coiled might be problematic. There isn't a lot of space in there.
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-6011-solenoid

Quote Originally Posted by Matt F. View Post
    I bought a standard 18/3 gauge cord from americord.com.
    http://www.americord.com/6ft-power-c...-prod-906.html
    The fact that it is coiled might be problematic. There isn't a lot of space in there.
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-6011-solenoid

So is this the one you got
    6FT Power Cord 18/3 SJTW for $2.03
    Last edited by inkslinger; 11-07-2010 at 08:21 PM.