Thread: Easier than gel caps, adding osmocoat the existing aquariums

Hybrid View

Easier than gel caps, adding osmocoat the existing aquariums

In advice to someone recently:

Osmocoat seems like a wise idea for DIY root tab solutions that has seen some revisiting lately. Slow release, small etc, ice cubes filled with Osmocoat also would make adding it in spots very easy too.
    This is similar to soil mud ice cubes that can be added then melt in place without making a mess trying to insert it deep into the sediment.

Some folks had thought to use gel caps for pills to do this, but ice cubes are even easier.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post
    In advice to someone recently:

Osmocoat seems like a wise idea for DIY root tab solutions that has seen some revisiting lately. Slow release, small etc, ice cubes filled with Osmocoat also would make adding it in spots very easy too.
    This is similar to soil mud ice cubes that can be added then melt in place without making a mess trying to insert it deep into the sediment.

Some folks had thought to use gel caps for pills to do this, but ice cubes are even easier.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Excuse me Tom, I couldn't see how easier it is.
    The capsule is quite small compared to the size of an ice cube in my imagination.
    And (ice) melts faster too. Do I miss something?

I have to go get the gel caps, but ice?
    If you have a freezer, then it's a done deal.

the point is adding enough Osmocoat(or whatever) into the sediment before melting/dissolving.
    Gels caps are fine, but filling 20 of them is a PITA compared to ice fertcicles.

The other issue, using and filled a dozen or more little gel caps?
    I can simply toss 10 x (or however much I wish) this amount into an ice cube tray and then add to the sediment.
    No, it does not melt for a few minutes.
    This can also be done using soils/clay loams, and osmocoat, or worm castings all mixed.
    Gel caps are fine, but many will not bother with buying them or dumping the contents out and trying to refill them.

I can also make ice fert sheets to slide under the sediment for nice even distribution.
    You can certainly use gel caps.........many have/do.

This is just another very simple way to add any ferts deep into the sediment.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

You can buy empty gel caps but the ice method sounds like the way to go for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    You can buy empty gel caps but the ice method sounds like the way to go for sure.
    For smaller packets, gel caps are popular.
    It's weird for me, since osmocoat was all the rage long ago, then no for a long time, now it's often precisely what many are looking for.
    Jobes stick have caused some issues for many in the past, others had little issues with them.

Osmocoat cannot cause such issues due to slow release.

Fertcicles is really simple, easy and you can add other things in there like peat, soil, clays, whatever........

regards,
    Tom Barr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post
    Fertcicles is really simple, easy and you can add other things in there like peat, soil, clays, whatever........
    Now why didn't I think of that? It's so simple it's complicated.

There I was, picking my brains out, trying to figure out what kind of binder to use to make my own root tabs, what will the gelcaps do when they decompose (it's basically Knox gelatin as far as I know) and so on.

Water+stuff+freezer=root tabs.

The best thing is that I cannot see why this could not work for houseplants. It could have saved me a few bucks. Instead of buying Jobe's organic sticks.

By the way, stick with the good old Jobe's sticks. Don't go for the organics ones. They're made of bone and feather meal and tend to rot and give out a bit of a funky smell when used indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by nipat
    The capsule is quite small compared to the size of an ice cube in my imagination.
    And (ice) melts faster too.
    Just fill them half way. And indeed it does melt faster, but who cares, the Osmocote will act as a slow realease, they can melt in 30 secs as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for making my life a little bit simpler again Tom.

/Ice cubes...
    //Hummm.... I think I saw trays to make little bitty ice cubes at the dollar store a few weeks ago
    ///Going to the dollar store right now