Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Easier than gel caps, adding osmocoat the existing aquariums

Bio,

Does O+ play a roll in fish death? Meaning if too much is placed in the substrate will it poison the water per say? I have been using O+ now and when I first used it is when I had all the deaths in my 75 gallon. My 29 gallon had similar deaths as well. Just a thought. Now that time has passed and WCs have been made I haven't had any problems except with Otos. From what I hear they are a pain in the butt to keep alive anyway.
    Thanks

JJ

Plants give me peace!

Smile Otos Can Be Sensitive, Mainly They Need Algae & A Wee Bit O Tiny Critters

Hi JJ All,

It seems that the type of substrate and the amount play a role.

Can you describe how the fish acted prior to death and what they looked like?

That ammoniacal nitrate is a concern so overdosing the Osmocote Plus in gravel or other highly porous low cation exchange capacity substrate might cause a problem, especially if the water column were high temperature and high pH.

The interesting thing about Osmocote is that the prills are actually a temperature release mechanism with most of the nutrients inside coated with time-release material. The prills are a polymer capsule that let water in to dissolve the nutrients then allow the release of nutrients in solution as a function of temperature and diffusion.

The closer I look at Osmocote, the more impressed I am.

I do see a day when something like this is made for water column dosing.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Cool This May Be The Next Step Up

Hi Charlie, All,

I have not tried the Osmocote® PotShots™̣

Looking at the label information it seems like it should work as a targeted root feeder.

For our purposes, it might well be better to use PotShots™̣

As with all the Osmocote® products, I would not use them in coarse gravel.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

5. I'm interested

Biollante/all,
    I'd like to hear how it goes with Osmo+ directly in the water. I guess that's obvious. I appreciate the warning about substrate. I have course gravel/pebbles I got from a big lake. All this talk about root fert and you hit on a key point: Some of you seasoned planted tankers seem to use sand or damn near sand substrate to slow down the flow between above and below the dirt line. True or way off? I fear fish soup if it leaches too fast.

Another thing. I don't think Osmo+ is sold in my state. Would regular Osmocote suffice?

If the best I can do is weekly water changes, should I rely on what comes out of my fish for low tech tank plant fert? or do I try root fert? I've not had success so far. My fish (neons, RNT, rams) are healthy but I've had plant death and light algae with low stock kit lights, a spike in growth with 3x23watt spiral CFLs and Excel...at the cost of a couple Vals that the LFS dude sold me with the Excel. The last time I got to my tank it had a nice head on it and major algae. This was after applying liquid aquarium fert into the water 7 days prior. (per directions on the bottle) Due to my life, I can't babysit this tank every day. Any input appreciated.

Smile Somewhere "They" Sell Osmocote Plus

Hi Eelpout,

The “Plus” in Osmocote Plus are trace nutrients.

Two weeks ago would have stated outright that Osmocote (including Plus) were dangerous in the water column or leaching out, in fact leaching ammonia into the water column was my principle concern.
    • Now I am not so sure.

I have started a couple of test containers with Osmocote Plus in the water column…

Yes many folks cap with sand or even as I do in many tanks use sand (& clay) with nothing else. Many use straight top soil.

I recommend you start a new thread and tell us about your situation, include tank information, what you are trying to accomplish and so forth. Telling us where you are can help as well, Walker Minnesota, perhaps.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Smile Osmocote experience: Nipat’s Right Again… I Do Not Know Why I Bother…

Hi,

Under the heading Nipat is right again.

Or so it would appear

Not sure anyone cares, but…

About three months into my Osmocote in the water column, it appears it works fairly well.

Now I will leave the controlled falsifiable hypothesis stuff to those who care. This is a curiosity demonstration triggered by Gerry’s comments, Nipat’s observation and an honest question.

I am actually surprised.

The Osmocote Plus seems sufficient on its own to keep low or moderate light tanks operating.

It is interesting in a container with a hang-on-back filter, no plants, water temperature about 26°C, we change the water daily and it appears the we are getting a bit over 1120 dose per day, which is right on target with the 4-month life expectancy.

About two months ago I placed 2-grams of Osmocote Plus in a filter bag inside a Fluval 2 underwater filter with the sponge removed, in a very mature 55-gallon, deep sand bed, aerated, no external filtration, 160-watt, 6700K, 10 hours per day, plus high ambient light tank. The tank was dosed higher end EI that I thought was non-limiting. Within days, growth increased in 3-weeks the growth was obvious and explosive.

This tank had a substantial growth of algae on three walls and covering many of the rocks. The algae have died, the moss, Taxiphyllum barbieri continues strong growth.

About a month ago, I did the same thing with the similar 55-gallon tank next to it and I am seeing similar results.

A bit of messing around with some 20-longs and I think something like 1.5 to 2.5-grams for every 200-liters of water seems about right.

Strong root feeders will still benefit from 3-5-grams per square foot (~0.1-m2).

Heavy iron users will do well with supplemental iron.

Bigflusher and another victim, I mean volunteer are starting 80-gallon tanks.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

I have been using Osmocote Pot Shot's in 80 gallon low tech tank for a couple year's now.
    I place them (1) under sword plant's,and crypt's and have seen encouraging growth with no Ill effect's to fishes,shrimp's.

Replace them about every four month's,maybe sooner .
    Last edited by 1077; 06-27-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Biollante View Post
    Now I will leave the controlled falsifiable hypothesis stuff to those who care. This is a curiosity demonstration triggered by Gerry’s comments, Nipat’s observation and an honest question.
    Bio,

Thanks for posting this, I care I appreciate the effort you expended...

I think this provides a nice enhancement to our fertilization methodology toolbox.
    Last edited by Gerryd; 06-28-2012 at 12:20 AM.
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

I have found a very useful Osmocote fertilizer brochure (see http://www.osmocote.co.za/brochure.pdf). There is a lot of answers to your questions. Also there is written that once the fertilizer package is open the granules begin to absorb water and start to release nutrients. This process can't be stoped (only slowed down by decreasing the temperature or by freezing)! So if you unpacked the fertilizer package, the nutrient releasing process already began and the effectiveness is slowly decreasing. So if you have 4-5 months Osmocote fertilizer (already opened), after 5 months the nutrients in the fertilizer should be depleted. That's very important finding (at least for me).