Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Root Tabs- Are they worth using and which ones are the best?

Quote Originally Posted by herns View Post
    Get size 00. 100 pcs for $3.99 free shipping on Ebay.

4.5 lbs of Osmocote plus will make over 1,000 root tabs!
    Hi,

Do you think size 000 is too big ? Btw, 11.25 on ebay for 1000.
    "Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"

"In the Shadow of Hermes"

I got 100 size 00 from ebay like you suggested . I want to find out how "easy" it would be to fill them up.

it's a tedious work! You need to have a lot of patience. I made 50 tabs in less than an hour.

I made holes on both ends of empty tabs w/ a neddle so it wouldnt float. You can use a soldering gun too.

it's a tedious work! You need to have a lot of patience. I made 50 tabs in less than an hour.

I made holes on both ends of empty tabs w/ a neddle so it wouldnt float. You can use a soldering gun too.
    Yep, I bet it is but, I'll give it a try. I make my own home made cigarettes for $1.80/pack. ( $12.00/pack in NYC )

Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
    Yep, I bet it is but, I'll give it a try. I make my own home made cigarettes for $1.80/pack. ( $12.00/pack in NYC )
    ...then I'm pretty sure you'll love placing Osmocote Plus on empty caps.

...then I'm pretty sure you'll love placing Osmocote Plus on empty caps.
    Lol!!!!!!!!! I guess. My wife said she will not help Heck, only 50 tabs 3 times /year.

Did you take into consideration the amount of dissolved gelatin in your water? Im not trying to be an idiot about putting them in caps, but ive often wondered if it has any effect on your water? If someone knows or can post a link to the answer id appreciate it. I freeze mine because its faster and im scared to add that much gelatin. I even DE-capped rootmedics completes and refroze them.

Quote Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
    Did you take into consideration the amount of dissolved gelatin in your water? Im not trying to be an idiot about putting them in caps, but ive often wondered if it has any effect on your water? If someone knows or can post a link to the answer id appreciate it. I freeze mine because its faster and im scared to add that much gelatin. I even DE-capped rootmedics completes and refroze them.
    Gelatin in water? Who knows, I never heard anything bad about it. Btw, I made 100 caps Sunday in less than 1/2 an hr and I like doing it. The cost is about $ 0.03 / cap.

This is the info for the caps I bought:

Product Description
    Natural capsules designed to fill any kind of medication like herbs, vitamins, and other substances. 100% HIDE GELATIN CAPSULES(100% BSE FREE).

Features
    Pharmaceutical grade empty gelatin capsules derived from bovine raw materials sourced from BSE-free countries 100% HIDE gelatin derived from the skin
    Kosher certified and inspected.
    Halal certified and inspected

Why use gelatin capsules in a planted tank if its not neccessary?

I too, am concerned about using gelatin capsules. Not really sure of the effects on water, would think there would be some effect, if only with the residual gelatin, affecting the TDS of the tank water.

To me its cheap, and easy to freeze Osmocote Plus in tank water. I want to keep the tank as natural as possible.
    The Rockster

72 Oceanic Bowfront; 4x65(6500K)CF; Eheims 2128 & 2028 ProII, Marineland C-530 Canister; API Substrate;6X-18 UV; Full Auto Co2; Cal Aqua d/c; 5 Jack Wattley Discus; 4 Clown Loaches.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rockster View Post
    I too, am concerned about using gelatin capsules. Not really sure of the effects on water, would think there would be some effect, if only with the residual gelatin, affecting the TDS of the tank water.

To me its cheap, and easy to freeze Osmocote Plus in tank water. I want to keep the tank as natural as possible.
    If you do weekly water changes, I doubt that a few gelatin capsules will add much to the TDS.