Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Co2 , How to turn it off? Does it hurt fish/plants if kept on at night?

DIY Co2 , How to turn it off? Does it hurt fish/plants if kept on at night?

Experienced Planted fishtank keepers with DIYCo2, please help.

I have 20 gallon killifish tank , its planted , medium, lots of broad hair grass, some cambomba coralina , water wisteria and some dwarf grass and marimo balls and LOTS of riccia floating.

I dose it with seach excel for co2 source and Dry-fert dosing.

Now i have just started DIY CO2 (as liquid co2 bottle is finishing), I know plants don't need co2 at night so how to turn this off? The bubbles are not fast btw, just one giant bubble per 4/5 seconds but the ceramic dispenser keeps spurting minute bubbles constantly in the tank.

Will it hurt fish if kept on?

Will it hurt plants if kept on?

Should i keep pulling the Ceramic/glass co2 dispenser to the surface every-night to avoid co2 spike at night?

I have this sponge filter which throws bubbles at surface and creates a current (which also disperses the co2 bubbles around water as it reaches surface). Will this help remove excess co2?

Tough question. Yeast (edit fermentations edit) do not like Oxygen so pulling the line from the yeast reactor is bad. I use a needle wheel/powerhead on a timer but that isn't much help in this case. I have found with my 10 gallon tank and a slower bubble rate that I have not had any problems with the CO2 running 24/7. I am inclined to think if you have sufficient water agitation at night it would be OK. However, you might try adding a quick connect to the line after the check valve and disconnect it from the disk at night from there and the check valve would keep out O2 and keep the reactors pressure stable.
    Last edited by Tug; 05-17-2010 at 01:20 PM.

HIII Tug high-five

Okay thanks for answering. I should have told this, MY DIY co2 is not one giant bottle with co2 line directly in the tank, the reactor (giant bottle with yeast + sugar solution) has one outlet, that outlets goes into another small bottle which has plain water and free surface at top, the second outlet from this bottle goes into tank (this outlet is in the air-column second bottle getting co2).

I am afraid of loosing pressure in line if i loosen something or build huge pressure in bottle if i add stop-valve etc. Me still wondering.

Back at u buddy,
    Just to be clear, if you were to add a check valve to the line after the BC just before the line goes into the tank, then add a quick connect to the line you could disconnect the line there at night, connect it in the morning and it should take less then 15 minutes for that short section of line to fill with CO2 and start entering the diffuser.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug View Post
    Back at u buddy,
    Just to be clear, if you were to add a check valve to the line after the BC just before the line goes into the tank, then add a quick connect to the line you could disconnect the line there at night, connect it in the morning and it should take less then 15 minutes for that short section of line to fill with CO2 and start entering the diffuser.
    YESSSS, Brilliant idea. I have both stuff here, will do it soon and i need to show that tank, nothing amazing but looks cute.

I would love to see it. After more then a year of tooling around with mine it is finally to the point were I can stop messing with it. It has given me loads of experience in just a short time. Next, I need to connect to a pressurized CO2 system or Left C says he is going to recall the Victor VTS253A he sold me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug View Post
    I would love to see it. After more then a year of tooling around with mine it is finally to the point were I can stop messing with it. It has given me loads of experience in just a short time. Next, I need to connect to a pressurized CO2 system or Left C says he is going to recall the Victor VTS253A he sold me.
    You're dern tootin' I'm going to. That's a chrome plated medical grade two stage 1993 model with a M series Swagelok Vernier handle metering valve and a Clippard solenoid!!!

Just kidding. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.

anshuman, as soon as you can, get a pressurized CO2 system. You'll like it and hate your yeast/sugar set-up.

Yeast can actually produce CO2 aerobically and anaerobically.
    aerobic: Glucose + Oxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy
    anaerobic: Glucose = Carbon Dioxide + Ethanol + Energy
    "The most efficient form of respiration is aerobic respiration: this requires oxygen. When oxygen is not available, some organisms can respire anaerobically i.e. without air or oxygen. Yeast can respire in both ways. Yeast gets more energy from aerobic respiration, but when it runs out of oxygen it does not die. It can continue to respire anaerobically, but it does not get so much energy from the sugar. Yeast produces ethanol (alcohol) when it respires anaerobically and ultimately the ethanol will kill the yeast."

Good info there Left C , thanks. Ya i am eventually going for cylinder , there is no way I can control this hobby now. (BTW i will be selling plants etc to recover that money , so i don't feel guilty telling people when i get that cylinder+value+things_it_will_demand.

Thanks for clarifying the O2 angle LC. And, if I wait too long I might need that chrome plated medical grade two stage 1993 model to go on top of the oxygen tank I'll be toolin' around with in my old age. Hopefully, I'll stop smoking before that happens. I've quit before, plenty of times.

My vintner was the one who told me that Oxygen disrupts the fermentation and that I should prevent it from reaching the yeast. But, he was talking about making wine. Maybe I should have said fermentations are better in the absence of O2. In any case, I find maintaining a consistent pressure in the reactor does provide for a longer fermentation. It might be that it has to do with maintaining a constant pressure more then it has to do with Oxygen.

I can't remember yeast's mechanisms now or what little that I did know is gone. I just remember that they "could" do it both ways, but we like them to go a certain way.

Smoking ... Have you seen the commercial about the lady with a missing voice box? Just take deep breaths and hold them when you feel the urge for a cig. The urge will ease off. When you feel the urge, do it again. Eventually it'll go away. I know two people that tried this and they quit and stayed quit. One wasn't me though.

That VTS253A1993 was cleaned and certified for O2 use when it was new even though it came ready for CO2 duty. It's a good one!