Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Koralia 'copies'

Koralia 'copies'

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has used the inexpensive Koralia 'copies'? They are way cheaper than the genunine Koralias. I'm sure they won't last as long, but, whilst they are working, do they at least perform just as well in terms of the low pressure + high volume water movement that Tom recommends?

Ideally I would like to pulse the water movement, but it seems to cost a fortune for a controllable pump.

The Tunze Stream pumps also look good - is there a good cheap version of these?

Scott.

How much water are you looking to move?

I have no idea on the SEIO pumps. I've considered them, but I've had poor experience with the RIO pumps so I'm a little leery of the other products made by TAAM. That may not be fair to the SEIO line, but it's kept me away from it. Maybe other people can give you some reviews on those.

You could also try a maxijet and one of their maxijet 1600 mods. The mod just pulls the usual powerhead impeller and nozzle off and replaces it with a cage and propeller assembly. It will probably be larger than the Koralia but should be cheaper, and you have the option of using it as a water pump for other projects if it doesn't work out for you. Dr. Foster Smith has the maxijet 1200 for 24$ and the propeller upgrade is 12$. So that's 36$ Supposedly this also works with the Maxijet 400 so that drops it down to 16+12$ but none of the maxijets come with the magnet mounts that the SEIO and Koralias do. Unfortunately there's no real indication of flow you could expect from these. I believe the Maxi1200/1600 combo was supposed to give 1600 LPH( ~400GPH ) but that's probably faulty memory on my part. Even the smaller SEIO comes close to that so it may not really be a decent option for you.

Alternately the new Koralias Evolution models are out and they're running 47$ for the "small" one which replaced the Koralia 2 model. The Koralia Nano models are running 35-40$. So at least on the low end with this the Koralias aren't much more than the maxijets and are probably smaller and more efficient being purpose built for this, but again, I have no idea how much water you want to move around. The SEIOs are cheapest overall and may be a very good unit, I just have no experience with them. I have been rather happy with the Koralia nano and Koralia 1 model that I have.

-
    S

SEIO are okay, I like them better than the K.
    I prefer the Vortech but they are 10X more costly.
    The Surflo kit for the Maxi jets are nice as well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Hi guys. Thanks for the help with this.

I *love* those Vortechs too Tom, I would love to have one of them, but no way could I afford one.

I would be able to spring for a genuine Koralia, or even one of the Tunze (nano) Stream type devices.

My tank is 400 litres and I currently have a single 'cheapie' powerhead pushing water around. It's not too bad, but it blocks up easily requiring regular cleaning, and it is a high pressure + low volume device.

I can totally understand the concept of moving larger quanties of water at much lower velocities, hence my decision to look for a propellor type device.

I thought I might save myself some cash and try one of the cheapies out first.

There is a JVP101B made by 'SunSun' and also a JVP300 made by 'Pro Aqua'. I'm not sure if they are actually the same thing, just badged differently?

If there is anybody that has one of these cheapies and can let me know how they perform that would be great!

Scott.

P.S. Would I be right in thinking that I should aim to get one that's a bit overpowered whereby I can diffuse the flow a bit if it's too strong?

Also, forgot the mention, for a tank my size would 3000l/h be enough, or would 5000l/h be better?

Somewhat overpowered is better. You should aim for at LEAST 10x circulation although I know 15-20x seems to be more common around here to make sure the CO2 gets where it's supposed to. We really do tend to baby our fish when it comes to flow rates so I wouldn't be too worried unless you have no calm places for the fish to rest. Well that or if you see fish stuck to the glass or little fishy imprints in the wood or substrate...

-
    S

Scott,

PM me. I have quite a few Koralia models not in use. Would be happy if someone takes them off my hands.

I have a IV, a nano, and 2 model II, I think.

Cost would be minimal as they are used......work fine though
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/album.php?albumid=34

Hi,

I would like a k2 if you still have it. Thanks
    "Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"

"In the Shadow of Hermes"

You should aim for at LEAST 10x circulation although I know 15-20x seems to be more common around here to make sure the CO2 gets where it's supposed to.
    Hi shoggoth. Cool, thanks for the advice mate, I appreciate it. Wow - is that really true about the 10x thing? So, does that mean for my 400 litre tank, a 4000lph circulation pump would be what I would need? For the 15 - 20x bit part, are you sure that this isn't in the marine world? Plants would be uprooted at those rates for certain!

So I'm now thinking I'd be better to go for the 5000lph, and diffuse it a bit, rather than the 3000lph? I'd rather just buy a single propellor pump, but if buying 2 would be even better, let me know.

PM me. I have quite a few Koralia models not in use. Would be happy if someone takes them off my hands
    Thanks for the offer Gerryd. I am in Australia though, so different power supply/plug etc. Better to send 'em north to barbarossa4122 than down under! ;-)

Scott.

csmith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scottward View Post
    Wow - is that really true about the 10x thing? So, does that mean for my 400 litre tank, a 4000lph circulation pump would be what I would need? For the 15 - 20x bit part, are you sure that this isn't in the marine world? Plants would be uprooted at those rates for certain!
    I thought the same thing. Read through this, it helped me out with the whole flow thing.
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...6600#post46600