Thread: AM1000 reactor: plumbing question for the "false gas valve"

Hybrid View

AM1000 reactor: plumbing question for the "false gas valve"

Hi,

I learned here efficiency of the AM1000 (or other reactors) can be enhanced by bringing the output of the "false gas valve" on the AM1000 (C02 bleed line) back to the intake of a main pump.

One recommendation is to bring the output of the CO2 bleed valve to BEFORE the pump. So the CO2 bleed line would be connected in-line to the intake tube for the PUMP.

A different recommendation is to bring the output of the CO2 bleed valve to AFTER the pump that feeds the AM1000. So the CO2 bleed liine would be connected in-line to the intake tube of the AM1000 (but again, after the pump).

The first recommendation seems better so any excess CO2 gas will be chopped by pump impeller and then fed through reactor. But I want to go with the second option (my pump intake line is 1" and I don't want to cut into the 1" pump intake tube); it would be easier for me to bring the bleed line to 5/8" tubing which I use between the pump and AM1000.

Any reason I should NOT go with my option 2, or is this fine.

Thanks,

You need the impeller to chop up the CO2 into small bubbles, so connect the bleed valve to the pump intake. If you connect it after the pump, you will get big gas bubbles into your tank that won't get dissolved. It's just wasting gas that way.

Regards,
    Dutchy

dutchy, many thanks.

Perhaps I was not clear. (since I don't see how my option2 would result in large co2 bubbles, if the the bleed valve is fed back to the AM1000 reactor input).

My option2 is that the false gas valve (CO2 bleed) is returned to the intake tube of the AM1000 reactor. I have seen this recommended and implemented by others.

Sequence:
    tank intake tube -->(tube1)-->pump-->(tube2)-->AM1000-->(tube3)-->tank return

My option1 was to connect the AM1000 bleed valve to tube1.
    My option2 was to connect the AM1000 bleed valve to tube2.

Why would option2 produce wasted gas? I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason not to do option2. I ask because option2 is the easiest given my tube sizes and the reducing Tees that I have.

cheers & thanks,

Sorry if I don't understand, but if you bleed the gas out of the reactor just to get it in there again, without the use of the impeller the effect is zero IMO. I did option1 and it gives you a fair amount of misting. The little bubbles made by the impeller pass through the reactor easily. If you do option 2 you just create a loop, nothing more.

regards,
    dutchy

There is an Aqua Medic Reducing Tee - 21 mm x Airline Tube. This is about 13/16". Would this be close enough to 1" to work? http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medi...FICOPP-vi.html

Something else, can you run your 'false gas' line from the reactor to the intake? Wouldn't that work? Maybe plumb the line into an intake slit if need be.
    Last edited by Left C; 02-10-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Left C (and dutchy), many thanks.

Running CO2 bleed line to actual tank intake is good idea and alternative. I use ehiem installation kits for intake/output lines at tank edge. These have 'straight bits' that sit flat on the aquarium rim (i.e., are not continuous U shaped, so any input or output tube essentially goes through 2 90degree angles to get from tank to cannister). Relevance is that I would be concerned CO2 bleed gas, if it accumulated, would get trapped in the installation kit head and break siphon.

http://www.marinedepot.com/filters_e...mation-ap.html

Is is this a legitimate concern? I can use one of the reducing Tees for my main pump with its 1" intake tube, and I will if needed. I'm just trying to figure if that can be avoided.

Cheers,