Thread: Dry start: My first attempt on a 11gal nano

Hybrid View

Dry start: My first attempt on a 11gal nano

Hi,

Thanks to the help and tips of Tom, Philosophos and many other members that helped me choosing the light... I could start my first nano, dry, on teh 27 june, so 2 weeks ago

Soil is mix of earthworm casting (bio label) + Flourite Black Sand, topped with Flourite Black Sand

Light is 2x11W ArcPod PC light

Tank is an Aquatic-Nature cocoon 7 (11 gal rectangular)

The plants are doing very well and I didn't have yet any trouble with the Tenellus. The Cryptocoryne Parva didn't melt and the P. Helferi is already growing. I also chose plants that were just arrived to the shop from Dennerle, so emerged growing and easier to acclimate to a dry start

Humidity is maintained near 80-85%

Aquatic Natur Cocoon 7: 11gal, dry start success / low light / CO2
    >>Follow it here<<

Aquatlantis Evasion 120: Stopped ---> Malawi setup = No Plants

And, now, after 15 days (sorry, but front view is difficult because of condensation that I can't remove fearing to alter the glass with some sand)

The recipient is to help maintain good humidity. And 2 calibrated Hygrometers to monitor hygrometry reliabely
    >>Follow it here<<

I don't remember seeing anyone try a dry start with those plants. They look great now! This will be very interesting to watch for the next few weeks.
    Hoppy

Looks like the dry start method is working very well for you. I might just have to give it a try.

Good to see the E. tenellus looking healthy; it certainly goes well with the P. helferi.

-Philosophos

Cool!

Great photos!

Thank you for the comments,

I chose those plants because I'm targetting a low maintenance shrimp tank. I'll use CO2 though. I renounced to use Excel because of safety concerns raising on some forums

Stems, anubia, java fern and other crypts will not be grown emersed as I have them growing in my main 60gal

I'm especially happy to see the parva and tenellus so healthy after 2 weeks. I saw other expieriences with tenellus rotting very quickely and C. Parva melting.

It suerely helps starting the tank in summer as it is easier to maintain constant temperature/ventilation/humidity. Also, using my cycled aquarium water rich of NPK-micro and mulm from it helps the plants to establish for sure

I'm still waiting for new emerged leaves though to be sure I'm on the good way
    >>Follow it here<<

Excel (glutaraldehyde) is something you can get along without just fine. It isn't so dangerous as people make it seem though. Most problems happen when people ignore established dosing ranges, and don't bother to check how sensitive the species they keep are to the chemical.

Glutaraldehyde can be used to increase hatch rates at one level, and sterilize them at another. It's a matter of dose. You don't need to worry about cumulative effects of excel either; it's got a half life around 11 hours.

Again, not saying it's necessary to use it, but it can be a helpful product. Spot treating algae on hardscape that can't be moved without disturbing plants is usually how I end up using it.

-Philosophos

There's a long debate, now locked, on UKAPS about its safety for human on the long term

I don't like to debate it here, in this topic, especially as the silence from seachem and other companies using such product is complete.

Here's the UKAPS link:
    UK Aquatic Plant Society Forum &bull; Login

You can read through it and, if you like, open a new topic on these concerns maybe
    >>Follow it here<<

Gorgeous setup. I'm setting up a 55G tank soon with earthworm castings substrate. Did you do anything else to your substrate or was it just 50/50 mix of castings and sand?

Thanks,
    It was only earthworm castings+fluorite black mix, topped with a thick layer of fluorite black
    Be careful with moist. Humidity is vital but misting will make a mess with mold. Also, try to clean the substrate top if needed before immersion. A humus-like layer formed with time that triggered a terrible cyano invasion once immersed
    >>Follow it here<<