Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dry start: My first attempt on a 11gal nano

Got it . Thanks

Was bored from P. Helferi in the front and liked a shorter plant, easy to maintain. As my floating riccia that started with 0.5in diameter became a 6in diameter circle shading too much light, I decided to use a riccia carpet

Glosso grew much well, just trimmed it short before the photo. It will be denser in few weeks and I'll post new photos when riccia and glosso grow denser

With low light, things are very slow, but at least, I see no algae even on the anubia after +4months without removing any decaying leave :-)

I realize it lacks some slope in the bottom left part. Maybe one time I remove some of the eleocharis and use rocks to make the slope

PS: my pictures pass through paint shop pro with 2 functions: a crop then a resize to reduce their size. Not any other picture enhancement filter. I use a tripod to take photos with my cheap digital camera. Hopefully I get soon a better camera for better photos.
    Aquatic Natur Cocoon 7: 11gal, dry start success / low light / CO2
    >>Follow it here<<

Aquatlantis Evasion 120: Stopped ---> Malawi setup = No Plants

Fantastic. i am absolute love with the setup and style of scaping in this tank.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Despite the plants health and their density, this tank is a rather low maintenance. Eleocharis, anubia, parvula and java fern were never trimmed in 5 months. Glosso trimmed once since 3 months. The mosses trimmed every 2-3 months. I just started the riccia, but should be trimmed every 1-2 months I think, let's see. P. Helferi needed a retop after 4 months + the 4-5 months of dry start. Wallichii needs monthly trimming, I don't retop it as it responds nicely with side shoots

No decaying leaves, even the P. helferi. Shrimps and a hundred of snails take care of every organic matter. Soil is never syphonned (trumpet snails help). Glass never cleaned in 5 months (light is put along the bottom side of tank to avoid algae on glass)

Canister never cleaned after near 5 months of immersion

Only feeding fish and shrimps daily, 20mn for the 50% weekly WC (just 3.9 gallons of water to use, no syphonning, so not too much work)
    >>Follow it here<<

Why do you covering your outer glass substrate jonny_ftm?

Temporary solution to avoid algae growth (BGA and black algae). Aquarium is exposed to intense daylight by 3 front door-windows. Algae tend to grow there over time giving a bad look. Sadely, I don't like to change its place. I didn't find time to put a decorative band I have prepared, but should do it in 2 weeks as I have holidays.

Also, the filter inlet broke and leaked a few days ago and I had to replace it with that ugly green tubing. I will replace the inlet with a new intake soon
    >>Follow it here<<

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_ftm View Post
    Temporary solution to avoid algae growth (BGA and black algae). Aquarium is exposed to intense daylight by 3 front door-windows.
    Hmm, pretty much like mine but my tank will get sunlight reflected by floor tiles indirectly and only some part of tank get that reflected light and also just for about half an hour or so at the morning between 07-08am. It that related to my BGA and BBA issues somehow? Interesting...

Aquarium can be exposed to daylight or sun, but you must account for it in the light period:
    - turn on the lights during the daylight period
    - cover the aquarium during the day period to turn on lights when you like.
    - change aquarium position to avoid any daylight

If you don't account for daylight intensity, you'll have same issues as when you have very high light or very long light periods. Also, if you chose option 1, you have to adapt your CO2 and dosing accordingly

As for the substrate algae, I have no solution to this except covering the substrate or putting tank away from light. On the long turm, organic dust forms between substrate and glass ---> BGA and BBA

One solution is to siphone regularely there, but with organic substrate it is not possible
    >>Follow it here<<

Another possible option would be to just turn off the lights during the times when the sunlight is bright or hits the tank. Saves $$$ too since you won't use electricity during that time. Admittedly at 11W or so we're not talking megasavings. Still, it may deal with the algae problem simply enough.

-
    S

The problem is in the cumulative light period if you do that. Say I like my tank having light from midday to 8pm at least (8h total period). My daylight is intense since 8am. If I keep tank exposed to daylight + my light period ---> 12h light period (8am to 12pm daylight + 12pm to 8pm PCL), not good for my needs in growth/CO2 use. If I still want my 8h period, I'll have to turn off lights at 4pm to have a total of 8h exposition. However, in summer here, daylight is intense till 8pm, so it won't work for me either.

Add to all this, changing artificial light period won't solve the issue of the exposition of organic substrate to daylight, which will cause algae on the substrate. No functional issues, but ugly to look at such a substaret visible layer. Usually, algae growing there are BBA as low CO2 is in substrate and they don't need much light at all to grow. In organic substrate I also noted BGA issues, which is a bigger problem as they tend to extend in water. Since I covered the substrate no more issues.

On my 60 gal, placed in a dark part, i don't have those issues.
    Last edited by jonny_ftm; 04-09-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    >>Follow it here<<