Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry start: My first attempt on a 11gal nano

I modified the layout mainly by changing the left rock to a shorter one with more surface relief:

Anubia roots are heading to the substrate. They don't dry in the moist air and I could remove cotton now:

Now, the P. Helferi is showing an interesting move to the emersed less sexy form:

The P. Helferi in middle of the tank are still showing a nice submerged form (look at the one in 2nd photo, on the right of the anubia). The front lateral plantlets are loosing submerged leaves and sending emersed ones. I don't get it why, but the light, more intense in the middle, can be an explanation

I'm also thinking at the fish. It will be around 10-15 Boraras maculatus red fish or the Danio erythromicron (blue fish, but likes harder water and very shy not shoaling), some critters or some Hara jerdoni

I need an advice on what I can put all behind/above the big mountain on the right: Anubia var nana (not petite), Winlow Java fern?
    Last edited by jonny_ftm; 09-26-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    Aquatic Natur Cocoon 7: 11gal, dry start success / low light / CO2
    >>Follow it here<<

Aquatlantis Evasion 120: Stopped ---> Malawi setup = No Plants

Hi, sorry to insist:

Any help on what should I put on the right back corner, above the "mountain" on the right? Anubia var nana (not petite), Java fern, other... any advice?

many thanks for helping
    >>Follow it here<<

How about some Bolbitus?
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

It will get too big

Maybe, for my critters, I should go Java fern, Windelov
    >>Follow it here<<

Hey here is this tnak again. It looks really cool. This makes me want to try some Pogostemon helferi again. I had some a while back, but I killed it off.

What about Echinodorus cuadricostatus there in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
    What about Echinodorus cuadricostatus there in the back?
    Not too much in my liking, sadely

Otherwise, I submerged it yesterday, CO2 injected via the UP atomizer system, the mist is incredible and all plants are covered with CO2 microbubbles. In few minutes, the mist looks effective.

CO2 injected shots:

After CO2 shutdown:

Water is crytal clear from startup. The organic layer formed during emerged phase helps avoiding the cloudy effect when filling the aquarium. Also, first fill was done with a perfusion like mod using air tubing.

I missed the layout of the right corner though. The java windlow fern looks like put there and the rocky aspect is completely lost with the Anubia nana petite. I'm a bit disappointed and will lokk at it later. I'll open a topic just on that right corner I don't like
    >>Follow it here<<

Fighting some BGA (cyano)

I made a big mistake. Was too lazy and short of time, so didn't remove any decaying organic matter that infiltred soil surface during the 4.5 months of emersed setup. BGA grew on the organic debris like mad in 24h

Now, I syphoned/aerated the soil, removed massively the debris and doing 80% WC 1d/2 + ferts/KNO3

Cut the light by 2, from 22W to 11W. Indeed, effective volume is only 7gals instead of the theorical 12 gals (5 gals lost in layout/soil).
    >>Follow it here<<

If it's not too late, perhaps try planting some plugs of HC into that rock over on the back right so it looks like the HC is sort of weeping out of it. From there if you can get your hands on it, some Rotala goias would look nice up above.

Failing that, try moving your anubias petite lower down on the rock; cover the base of it and have it become sparser as it moves up along the stone. From there you could put the HC in the back where it's easier to plant, and have it sort of spilling over the top almost to suggest a waterfall like motion. Utricularia gramnifolia would look great too, but I've heard it's a real pain to keep.

Your tank is doing very well. You've put time into it, and it's starting to show. A few months from now when things are grown in and adapted, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

-Philosophos

Hi,

Your idea look great indeed. I didn't like HC at the beguinning as it needs maintenance and I like a low maintenance tank, that is very little trimming.

I'll try lowering the anubia and sparsing it + put the HC in place of the java fern as you suggested

Thank you again for the tips
    >>Follow it here<<

Tossed in about 125mg of Claritromycine (CM) instead of Erythromycine. That is about 2.5-3 mg/L. No blackout

Waiting for Tom to advice me the next CM doses, treatment duration and WC shedules during treatment
    >>Follow it here<<