Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry start: My first attempt on a 11gal nano

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_ftm View Post
    Hi,

I have a big issue that I need your help. I'll submerge the tank in about 2 months and wondering about the placement.

I'd like to put it facing 2 big french windows, so consistent direct daylight, but no direct sun light. I'll be going for pressurized CO2, yet with my rather low 2x11W PC lights and slow growing plants.

Do you think placing such a setup in front of these french windows is asking for trouble on the submerging phase?

Otherwise, emerged foliage is getting denser on the Helferi, tenellus is sending shoots with new leaves and the Parva is still so beautiful, no melting
    I know ambient light is a touchy subject, my experience with four tanks in a high ambient light area has been good.

The rather strong daylight has had the net effect of turning the three tanks with no artificial lighting into low to perhaps even moderate light tanks. My two watt per gallon tank into a high nutrient consumer, high growth tank.

Most shocking to many is that for at least part of the year (winter) all tanks get at least some direct sun. One tank gets as much as four hours a day of sun.

As with all tanks it will of course most depend on your plants and your routines.

I would assume you would wish to account for the extra light, driving consumption and growth. I would say keep the CO2 levels and err to the high side on nutrients.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Hi,

Many thanks to both of you. I was afraid of daylight because of all what we read in the net: "daylight drives algae soon or later"

Indeed, with EI, we better understand algae ad plants needs.

So, I'll put this nano where I like it, so well exposed, and go on with CO2 and nutrients as needed. Maybe I'll have to decrease my lights to keep it low maintenance, we'll see

Thank you again for your help.

Soon, I'll post a new top comparative shot to visualize plants growth. I'm so happy with this dry start seeing how the plants are doing. I'm now getting new shoots of every thing and spaced my misting to 1-2x/week only. It should be 1-2x/3-4 weeks easily later as the substrate remains really well immersed
    Aquatic Natur Cocoon 7: 11gal, dry start success / low light / CO2
    >>Follow it here<<

Aquatlantis Evasion 120: Stopped ---> Malawi setup = No Plants

Well thanks for sharing this dry start. I am going to give this a shot.

It reminds me of a high school project back when...

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.

• I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Here's some news.

It's growing very well, no problems, not any crypt melting. The P. Helferi is getting bigger in size and is well rooted, far better than the ones planted in my 60gal since 2 months :-(

The C. Parva is the slower but new leaves are out and old ones still great looking. E. Tenellus is giving me some concern. It really doesn't behave like usual swords: fast growth, old leaves decay too quickely. I hope it will get slower once immersed with less debris from old leaves decaying too quickely like a stem plant. My first concern was a low maintenance tank and I won't keep with pruning the Tenellus if it will grow that way all the time :-(

Any idea on another plant I could replace the Tenellus with? Blyxa?

Ah, and here are the shots, I modified the small rock on the left and will be pruning the helferi for the layout in few weeks

And a top view to compare the growth with the previous shot, 3 weeks later, and after having pruned the tenellus from decayed leaves

PS: a great thank to Tom for his best ever starting method
    >>Follow it here<<

I'll be following your lead Johnny.

I'm setting up mine tomorrow and hoping for the best! (otherwise I just lost $100 worth of plants !! )

Please give us an update when you have a moment.

That looks cool. Are you sure you really want to put water in it?

Cool Looks Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
    That looks cool. Are you sure you really want to put water in it?
    I was thinking the same thing, that is really gorgeous!

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

No, I'm not on a hurry to flood it, really pushing it later and later, but should be by the second half-end September, so it'll be 3 months old then.

I'm liking it more and more dry

E. Tenellus was replaced by Eleocharis acicularis and it is doing very fine and sending shoots. C. Parva is growing fast and also sending many new shoots. P. Helferi is very dense, but very little shoots and 2 limited parts are getting brown/dry on top. I suspect these constant 28C temperatures inside terrarium since 3-4 weeks with tops at 29C. Hopefully it gets colder soon and I can see. It also could be a need for trimming as they grew significantely. Just not used with that plant yet.

Was on holidays, photos on next days
    >>Follow it here<<

Updated photos, tank is 2 months old now.

Eleocharis is only 3 weeks old, it is also sending many many shoots but at least it has the tall I want

C. Parva is also sending shoots and many leaves

P. Helferi: needed trimming because some plantlets showed some moisted browning, don't know why (high temperature, too dry...?)

48h ago, I added my anubia nana "petite" on the lowest branch of the wood

I love this dry start. Would quiet give Tom a kiss
    >>Follow it here<<

Here's how it is gowing,

I changed the rocks, and modified the wood a bit

The Anubia nana petite is doing well, it seems. Just need some time to be sure
    Eleocharis is sending mayn shoots

>>Follow it here<<