Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressurized CO2=BBA??

Pressurized CO2=BBA??

Hi,

I finally went pressurized on my 33gal (1 week ago) and I'm seeing the start of a BBA breakout. Little tufts starting on the older leaves and on my driftwood, even on my thermometer!

Previously, I had 2 DIY yeast bottles on that tank and I would dose a bit of exel (3ml or so) daily as I know the yeast wasn't that consistent. And I had no algae problems, a bit of green dust but that's it.

The tank has been running for about 3 months, is heavily planted, growing well. I have a drop checker with 4dkH solution in it. Lighting is 110w of CF. EI dosing.

I've been running the CO2 24/7 with the drop checker green. I'm going to try turning off an hour before lights off and on 2 hours before lights on and turning it up a bit so it's more of a yellow green during the day. It's a milwaukee regulator so I just put it on timer tonight.

Hopefully this will help? I've trimmed off the affected leaves, do I need to remove and srub the driftwood too or will it just die off once things are stable again.

Thanks in advance!

Irene

What filtration do you use? And, how are you maintaining good water circulation in the tank? Unless you make sure the water circulates around the whole tank you can't be sure all areas are seeing enough CO2 in the water.
    Hoppy

BBA and DIY CO2 often suggest poor CO2.
    Maybe not today, but maybe at some point.

BBA is definitely a CO2 related issue, every case I've ever seen in person and remedied..........CO2, this goes back 15 years and perhaps a 100 tanks in person.

Not once has it been due to anything else.
    We critically tested it in the club better than anyone has done since.

It's CO2.
    Good stable consistent CO2.

DIY CO2 users have more issues in general and the reason is fairly obvious given the cause.........

Change the brew weekly(one of the bottles and the other bottle the following week etc). Temp is also very important to keep the rate of CO2 flowing well, house temps vary day to day and week to week often times also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Ok, so I'll crank up the CO2. It's on timer now so it will be consistent from now on.

As for circulation/filtration, I have an aquaclear + an eheim aquaball 2212. The CO2 is piped into the filter intake which seems creating a fine fist being blown around. I have the spray angled slightly towards the surface to create good surface movement. Plants are really pearling about an hour or so after lights on. Even the java moss pearls!

The timer kicked in at 4am today though, and it's almost 8am now and my drop checker is still blueish green. That seems like a long time for it to change colour?

Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post

BBA is definitely a CO2 related issue, every case I've ever seen in person and remedied..........CO2, this goes back 15 years and perhaps a 100 tanks in person.

It's CO2.

DIY CO2 users have more issues in general and the reason is fairly obvious given the cause.........

Change the brew weekly(one of the bottles and the other bottle the following week etc). Temp is also very important to keep the rate of CO2 flowing well, house temps vary day to day and week to week often times also.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    Tom ,she is on pressurized co2.
    Regards

6. Did you stop using Excel once you went pressurized? That may have been a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post

It's CO2.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    I believe the key reason for the BBA is not the presence or lack of C02 but rather that DIY often produces variable amounts of it, confusing the plants. The same thing could happen with injected CO2, if the amount injected was frequently changed.

There are many planted aquariums that do not have BBA problems even though they do not inject or add CO2.

Bill

So it seems like consistency is more important than amount? I have been fiddling with it a bit since I got it. I'll stop. Any opinions on the excel? Should I keep dosing it for a while or is it not needed if my CO2 is consistent?

Irene
    Irene

33G planted-native fishes: 6 banded killifish, 1 logperch, 2 tessellated darters, 2 mottled sculpins, 3 oto catfish
    33G planted-1 juvenile albino senegalus bicher, 1 BN pleco, 1 juvenile rock bass
    20G planted- 1 female red eye puffer, 3 eel loaches, 2 oto cats
    10G planted-1 male red eye puffer, pond snails
    2x5G snail breeding/plant clipping tanks
    33G work in progress

Excel isn't needed when you have pressurized CO2, but it can be useful for killing offf algae occasionally. So, I suggest you don't dose it regularly.
    Hoppy

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnH View Post
    Excel isn't needed when you have pressurized CO2, but it can be useful for killing offf algae occasionally. So, I suggest you don't dose it regularly.
    Will Excel only kill BBA if overdosed.