UKAPS events for the future.
1) A library. This will consist of books such as the ADA aqua journals ( English and Japanese )and nature aquarium books, plant profile books like the Tropica book, other books for the scientific minded ( thats not me ) like Dian walstads book etc. Hopefully we will gather a sizable collection. This library will be available to members to loan. The books will be held by one of the co-ordinators/organisers or be continually rotated between members. The books will need to be either donated or raise the cash via donations or some other means to aquia them. If we all chip in the cost is spread and we all get the value of the books without paying an arm and a leg.
2) House meets. This seems to be what really gets people excited. The member who wishes to host a meat will post a date and location to invite you along, they can have a limit to numbers or have the whole parade turn up. The host will sort out the food etc, but we will all chip in for the cost. If there is anything els to do while we are there like visit a zoo aquarium etc all the better.
3) Field trips. This can link in with the house meets or as a sole trip out. This could include visits to local zoo's, aquariums or botanical gardens, hikes or strolls around the mountains or wilds, you name it, why not do it. The idea is one to socialize and two to perhaps inspire us in some way. So if you like the more nature aquarium designed tanks then trips into the mountains etc will help give inspiration, to see how it looks in nature, or if your more formal then the botanical gardens will probably give you some ideas too. I'm sure our other hobby's will cross over from time to time, which is great. And food again MUST be involved
4) Demonstrations. This would be likely linked to the above.So if you where to host a meet and want to set up the tank on the same day you will have the advantage of many people offering advice and critique during set up. Again food and drink.
5) Bulk buys. As Tom has mentioned, it may well be possible to get bulk orders from companies like Tropica etc, either for plants or fertilizers. This may take some organizing but is possible.
The reasons for these are to socialize,to be inspired,to learn, to promote and progress the hobby and of course to eat and drink . Things may take time to organize, and it may only be 3-4 times a year that we all gather but every little helps.
Keep on open mind with regards to other members and respect their wishes and tastes. It should be one happy family willing to help those around them, for one day the favor may well be returned.
"SHAKKIE" is a technique of borrowing nature's creation and incorporating it into a miniature representation.