Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Step 2: chose a method and learn it well

Yes, many do it. Excel is ok for a small tank, low light setup. On bigger tanks/high light, compressed CO2 is cheaper and a better source of carbon for plants
    Aquatic Natur Cocoon 7: 11gal, dry start success / low light / CO2
    >>Follow it here<<

Aquatlantis Evasion 120: Stopped ---> Malawi setup = No Plants

Hi everybody,

So I have tried this current set up
    -low light
    -excel
    -CO2 (DIY)
    -EI

But I noticed how hard it is to keep a stable CO2 level and also I keep battling with some amount of GSA and BBA. The plants grow like crazy (even with low light) and I need to trim a lot.
    So I was thinking to switch to non-CO2 methode. 2 things holding me back, HC is now a nice carpet (hopefully it will stay this way) and I have sand as substrate. I wonder if sand will work for a non-CO2 methode. It is nothing like ADA soil which can trap nutrients and hold (IMO) a better bacterial community.

Your opinion plz

edit: also shrimps don't reproduce that well since I started the current set-up.

BBA is lack of Co2! Spot dosing with excel helps kill it. Lack of current could be a problem as well. I asked Karen Randell via email once the same questions you are asking and this is what she told me. There is a fertilizer, cant recall which one, that sterilizes inverts. Check it and and see if you are using that fert. Hope that helps.
    Thanks

JJ

Plants give me peace!

I wouldn't use excel in a shrimp tank, I think there was a study done saying that excel reduced reproduction rates, it may be referenced here, then again so does CO2. Sand just means you need to dose the water column but you would not need to do full EI. Others would know better than I, but its my understanding that HC is at a huge competitive disadvantage for CO2, and unless its supplied the carpet will likely disappear.

jerryb

The only one that would make any sense would be any trace element fert that contains copper, like CSM+B. In the quantities necessary for a planted tank, I doubt KNO3 would have any noticable effect.
    Fred

Thanks for the response. The answers were actually what I was already thinking but just wanted some verification. I am going to give it a shot to stop the CO2 and see what will happen with the HC. If it is not able to compete than Ill start the CO2 again. What actually is harming the shrimps I would not know, maybe it is in my micro dosing. I don't actually measure stuff, just observe. And lately I observe shrimps having fewer eggs than before (fewer shrimps having eggs).

Thanks!

6. hi just started first planted aquarium need help aquarium is 10 gallon 24 18 by 18 used 20 1b ecco complete planted heavily with straight vallis hygro corombosa water wisteria green cobomba lighting 15 watts for non co2 low tech parameters 6gh 6kh ph 7.8 turnover from filter about 12 times an hour running for 3 days was waiting for plants to settle but vallis looks like it is dying what will i do

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieArnie View Post
    Thanks for the response. The answers were actually what I was already thinking but just wanted some verification. I am going to give it a shot to stop the CO2 and see what will happen with the HC. If it is not able to compete than Ill start the CO2 again. What actually is harming the shrimps I would not know, maybe it is in my micro dosing. I don't actually measure stuff, just observe. And lately I observe shrimps having fewer eggs than before (fewer shrimps having eggs).

Thanks!
    Lots of folks....if they actually compare..............no CO2 vs CO2 see this. Problem is, many simply do not do this.

See the non CO2 methods in the article and EI sections.
    In most cases, running it semi lean will work well for shrimp tanks.

This assumes no water changes at all.
    Monitor TDS...........change water if it gets to 500uS.
    Drop to about 250.

Repeat as needed.