Thread: Peacock Gudgeon and co.

Peacock Gudgeon and co.

Some extraordinary little fish that can be kept in small aquariums (10gallon);
    I keep mine in a spacious 48 gallons, let them have space
    New Guinea offers some very interesting small fish, I will soon add one or two Borneo suckers to this set-up of mine, also a nice small fish to consider.

The Peacock Gudgeon is a very peaceful and small (5-6cm) fish. I kept mine in a 15 liters acrylic tank before adding them to my 180 liter and they where together with Red Cherry shrimp babys and grown-ups. I didn't notice many missing shrimps. Gudgeons are not very fast swimmers in comparison with shrimps ability to jump-away very fast. Any way as I stated above, I haven't witnessed Gudgeons being able to harm my Dwarf shrimps nor being interested really in eating them. Of course if you intend breeding Dwarf shrimps I wouldn't recommend any fish but only Otos to be kept with small shrimp species. Java Moss helps alot when mixing various small fish and Dwarf Shrimps of course :-)

Great forum Tom and Co.

Kind regards, Dusko.
    Last edited by Dusko; 03-24-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: extra info

Nice fish! I don't think I've ever seen any of those.

Thanks for posting.

All three of these are ideal fish.

Placing them only in a larger tank will make the tank look larger also, think about 4 discus in there, at 8" each.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post
    All three of these are ideal fish.

Placing them only in a larger tank will make the tank look larger also, think about 4 discus in there, at 8" each.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    That was exactly my plan...to have small species so the tank looks bigger and more space for the fish also. I am staying away from "Big fish" in such a small aquarium IMO. And I think I am fully stocked already;
    17 Pseudomugil furcatus - grow to 6cm
    8 Tateurndina ocellicauda - grow to approx 6cm
    2 Otocinclus spp. - grow to 5 cm
    4 Trichopsis pumila - 3 cm
    3 Crossocheilus siamensis - 15cm

I am thinking of adding a few Cory sterbai or Cory julii and Pseudogastromyzon myersi and that is it concerning the fauna.
    Flora is going to expand a bit more instead

Cory panda would be nicer, they are small and stay that way generally.

Regards,

Tom Barr

I keep a group of Corydoras hastatus in a 30g tank with some Vietnamese white clouds and cherry shrimp. Very nice species of dwarf corydoras.