Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importance of CO2 - A Guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
    Not all water is rich in CO2. My tap certainly isn't with a high pH and low kH.
    Most tapwater is high in CO2 despite high pH, the pressure within the pipes causes a higher level of dissolved gases which are then released under normal atmospheric pressure, not necessarily in a fizzing pop kind of way but there is still a higher level of CO2 than would be otherwise. I'm sure the pH/KH and CO2 chart would look different if we were to play around with the pressure of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
    If I turn off CO2 at night, the most the pH will drop is .5-.6, so not all tanks will lose that much CO2.

I think he meant for DIY CO2 setups while lights are on and plants are using CO2, not from off gassing over night when CO2 is off.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMac View Post
    Most tapwater is high in CO2 despite high pH, the pressure within the pipes causes a higher level of dissolved gases which are then released under normal atmospheric pressure, not necessarily in a fizzing pop kind of way but there is still a higher level of CO2 than would be otherwise. I'm sure the pH/KH and CO2 chart would look different if we were to play around with the pressure of the system.
    I strongly doubt that this is true for my tap. The pH actually lowers if I agitate or let it sit overnight, from 8.4 down to ~8.1. That strongly suggests that it was low in CO2 to begin with but letting it sit overnight, the CO2 dissolved into the water causing the pH to drop.

I was a little busy with my college exams and couldn't reply in time..thank you all for your kind appreciations

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMac View Post
    Nice write up, a good summary. Thanks!

Would you mind if I copied it over and pasted it on another forum? I would give you credit of course. What name should I credit? Your Barr Report handle or another?
    Thank you yes ofcorse you are free to do that! mention anything you want!

Ribeira Grande, Azores, Portugal, Portugal
    I have been seeing the stable CO2 levels for pressurised systems, wich i have,
    but my dought is:

I have solenoid system, i turn my co2 on 2 hours before lights and turn it off 2 lights prior to lights out,
    During CO2 injection, air pump turns off, surface agitation is non-existent, only a very slight to no flow moviment swirling the surface.
    during this period of time of 8 hours, the pH goes from 7.3 to 6.5 when lights are on (2 hours of co2 injection) and 2 hours prior lights out (co2 injection off) the pH sits at 6.2,

Kh is 2, so my levels arent always the same, during light period co2 goes from 19 to 32ppm, assuming all my kH is carbonate, wich i dont think it is

The question is, does stability on CO2 mean a constant source of it, or do i have to have 30ppm during lights on without much difference in levels?

I guess the reason for the slow build up of co2 on the begining is ue to the external reactor traping a lot of co2, wich starts to go releasing faster when its full of it inside and dissolving it after co2 injection stops, lasting for some hours,

For now i have something like 1.5bps, i thought it would be enough with the reactor but seems i have to add more, and even more if i agitate the water so theres some exchange of gases.

I would greatly apreciate some lights on this matter since its the only variable i have now,
    Dosing EI, using Wet calculator, using dry salts and all..for more info, see my sig, i have all the specs there.

You likely need more flow through the CO2 reactor during the light period.
    I'd add a bit more CO2 also, a pH of about 6.2 is a good target, but this should be done 1-2 hours after the lights have come on.
    You might need more current and then add a little bit more CO2 to offset the loss from the extra current, this will help stabilize the CO2 ppm.

Some CO2 will degas, but you get more mixing and better , more stable CO2 ppm.

I'd add a bit more CO2 also, a pH of about 6.2 is a good target, but this should be done 1-2 hours after the lights have come on.
    You might need more current and then add a little bit more CO2 to offset the loss from the extra current, this will help stabilize the CO2 ppm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post

Well the flow is strong, i even had to manage a way for the rotala not to bend completely :/

My issue here is the slow co2 dissolution, even with 2 hours of CO2 injection before lights, my target still inst on 6.2,

Could the issue be, as i have read somewhere from you, the trapped bubbles on the reactor?
    If i place the reactor on the horizontal, most bubbles go away, may that work?

I was thinking on, instead of breaking surface with the outflow water, to do it with the air pump, maybe that will work as well with the stable ppm after i up the co2 injection?

I have increased Co2 enough for it to lower pH to 6.2 2 hours before lights on and 6.0 4 hours after CO2 started, 2 hours of light,
    This with a light air pump function,
    Since i have no fish yet, i could just leave this be like that so planta get boosted, and monitor for surface film right?

Im thinking on getting a small circulation pump for the front zone of the tank,
    Was this what you ment when you adviced me Mr Tom?