Thread: Water Wisteria - to float or not to float?

Question Water Wisteria - to float or not to float?

I keep seeing that people post it's a floater. Is this why I never seem to get it to actually grow right? I was successful for a short while with it and then suddenly - poof. It didn't like me. I keep trying to figure out if this plant is highly dependent on root tabs? Iron? What do I need to do to get it to start up again. So, anyone?

Monica
    To plant more, or not to plant more, that is the question. Grin.

Do you mean Hygrophila difformis? It's a rooter, not a floater, but can take up nutrients from the water column. It doesn't require CO2 or a lot of light but it does require NPK and micro nutrients. If they stunt, it's most likely due to lack of nutrients. Are you adding NPK?

Quote Originally Posted by Monilovesplants View Post
    I keep seeing that people post it's a floater. Is this why I never seem to get it to actually grow right? I was successful for a short while with it and then suddenly - poof. It didn't like me. I keep trying to figure out if this plant is highly dependent on root tabs? Iron? What do I need to do to get it to start up again. So, anyone?

Monica
    Hi,

Something is wrong if wisteria (hygro difformis) is not doing well. It can be rooted in the substrate and will form dense thickets. It creeps along the substrate and can/will get tall as well. It can also simply float on the surface and the leaves will turn upright and the roots will hang in the water. This reduces light naturally and provides cover for fry and surface fish.

More about tanks that it does not do well in please? This is a beautiful plant that tolerates many conditions and has been in the hobby for centuries
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

Quote Originally Posted by Monilovesplants View Post

Monica
    Hi,

Something is wrong if wisteria (hygro difformis) is not doing well. It can be rooted in the substrate and will form dense thickets. It creeps along the substrate and can/will get tall as well. It can also simply float on the surface and the leaves will turn upright and the roots will hang in the water. This reduces light naturally and provides cover for fry and surface fish.

More about tanks that it does not do well in please? This is a beautiful plant that tolerates many conditions and has been in the hobby for centuries
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

Red face Hmm. I suspect you may have answered me already...grin

I posted about my fertilizer regimen so I suspect I may have gotten the answers I need. I think I need to increase my nitrates. I don't add phosphate as my tank seemed to have an insane amount of it. I'm wondering though about the micro nutrients. I'm going to do what they told me to do on the other post...if it still doesn't improve, I'll increase my Micro's.

I'm guessing that growing plants sometimes means you're adding a bit more until you see a result?

Monica

suspect magnesium and iron may have been the issue

My water wisteria is finally doing better and is actually growing - not super fast but it's finally growing. I think adding the magnesium was a good idea to my water changes. I also increased my iron dose. I'm not sure what this plant likes but I'm glad that it's starting to grow. Does anyone know what exactly in particular this plant loves? Is it a phosphate hog too? If yes, I may need to start dosing more than once a week at a tsp dose.

It's an easy plant to grow and doesn't require much in terms of micros, especially if you have a nutrient rich substrate. Growth can be incredibly fast under the right conditions, I mean explosively fast like a weed. It does need nitrogen and it will most likely be the limiting factor in growth.

Wink Weirdly...

I used to have tons of it in my smaller tank and it grew like a weed. I was using all fertilizers by Seachem then switched to dry ferts. I'm starting to think I'm dosing too little....I may up everything a bit and watch for weeks. This is like watching to find out who did what in a tv series at the start of the next season. I'm stuck watching the finale and have to wait. Sigh. Must learn patience (chants to self)!