Thread: HPT500 Regulators on Ebay

HPT500 Regulators on Ebay

I just picked up one of these. There are two more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NorLab-NEW-H...item1c3415b0ad

Are these OK for aquarium CO2 use? I know I will want to replace the output gauge and attach a 320 fitting. I've been looking for a new or newish dual stage regulator to replace a leaky Classic Cornelius for a while and ebay seems to be lean lately.

I would try to find one with a lower maximum working pressure.

Does the overly high working pressure make this unusable/dangerous? I have seen HPT500-300 builds on here and other forums.
    Last edited by JimG; 07-13-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    Does the overly high working pressure make this unusable/dangerous? I have seen HPT500-300 builds on here and other forums.
    If a reduction is required, I see that the LP adjusting spring will need to be replaced, requiring a total teardown. I assume this would need to be done by a professional.

You can dial that model in for low pressure diffusers, too. You just won't get fine adjustment capability of a lower range working pressure gauge. Still functional at 10 psi increments up to 100 psi. Burkert solenoids are rated at 115psi, IIRC, so don't go over 100 psi. If you have a cheapo solenoid, you shouldn't go higher than 20-30 psi, imo. In either case, the solenoid will limit you. If you get a cheap solenoid, it will break if you put too much pressure on it and empty out the contents of your co2 tank. SO, in short that regulator will work, but you won't be able to utilize a majority of the working pressure range, and you won't be able to make fine adjustments in the <100 psi range like you would with an HPT500-80 or a HPT500-125. You want a higher working pressure range for a multiple tank set-up, though. I personally like the 0-200psi range, and you can swap out the low pressure gauge to a o-60psi gauge w/o issue. New, these HPT500s are about $300.
    Last edited by Matt F.; 07-14-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Put another way: what good is a a nice dual stage reg if the pressure fine tuning sucks eggs?
    Bump that just a tad: it'll change things a lot. With a 0-30 or a 0-50 or maybe 100, you are in decent shape.

I have received a very doable preliminary estimate on changing the working pressure by a professional repair shop.
    This regulator has a 2S (1/8" Swagelok) outlet fitting. Will I need to change this as well?
    Thanks for all of your help.

Changing the pressure range isn't worth doing unless you are going to sell the unit. If you sell the unit, then you'll need to disclose that the regulator has been altered from factory specs and "rebuilt." The 0-400psi range is usable from 0-100 psi in 10 psi increments. I set my rigs at a 20-30 psi working pressure. Why not save the money if this is for personal use?

"2S" signifies that the regulator came with a 1/8"npt tube adapter screwed into the body of the regulator (from the factory). The port size is a standard 1/4" NPT. You do not need to do anything aside from remove the tube adapter before building the post body.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    I have received a very doable preliminary estimate on changing the working pressure by a professional repair shop.
    This regulator has a 2S (1/8" Swagelok) outlet fitting. Will I need to change this as well?
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Last edited by Matt F.; 07-19-2013 at 06:01 AM.