Thread: C02 changes - stick around to monitor!

C02 changes - stick around to monitor!

Hey all,

Just another warning about making changes to c02 and making sure you stick around.

I have a 75 gal rimless with a magnum 350 to filter it. Using a diy nw rio 1k in tank for c02. Nice mist and not a huge bubble rate (for me at least!). PH drops approx .75 within an hour. Fish seemed fine.

I planted some HC yesterday and also increased the NV bubble rate a tiny bit. Stuck around all day but had to work late last night and into the early morning. I live across the street from my job, so I came home a couple times to check on this. Sure enough, the 2nd trip, the 20 cardinals I had were all at the top gasping. C02 had been OFF for 2 hours at this time!!!!

Note that the ph decrease was from .76 to .79 tops. It has not increased past that when I saw the fish in distress.

I attribute this to the use of the canister which traps c02 longer term along with Tom's observations about the non-linear response of ph and c02 ppm. I saw this with my 220 before I swapped to a large wet/dry. Thing is that I provide LOTS of surface movement now, much more than most folks provide. I even increased it simultaneously with the small c02 increase!

So, I provided plenty of surface agitation and within 10 minutes things were better. However, I think I lost 3 cards.

So I urge you all AGAIN. When you make ANY changes to c02 you need to stick around and monitor. Even after c02 is off.

I will be watching more closely today and I turned the rate back down to the previous level. I will provide even more surface ripple.

Take care.
    Last edited by Gerryd; 07-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

Very true Gerry! I've gassed fish twice, and it does not leave a good feeling!

I agree it's better to slowly increase the CO2 levels vs just a large bump, and a must to watch the critters for a while.
    Thanks

JJ

Plants give me peace!

Fully agree to this. I might be wrong but here is some of my assumption, your tank's agitation alone was not providing enough o2 for the fish when the plants were "resting" (when the light was off), but your tank was balanced when there are o2 produced by the plants (when the light was on), therefore, the fish are fine at the day time. Then when the light is off, the plants are no longer producing o2, your fish gasp due to low o2. This assumption is base on I assuming your light was off when you say "C02 had been OFF for 2 hours".
    Regards

Franco

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFish View Post
    Fully agree to this. I might be wrong but here is some of my assumption, your tank's agitation alone was not providing enough o2 for the fish when the plants were "resting" (when the light was off), but your tank was balanced when there are o2 produced by the plants (when the light was on), therefore, the fish are fine at the day time. Then when the light is off, the plants are no longer producing o2, your fish gasp due to low o2. This assumption is base on I assuming your light was off when you say "C02 had been OFF for 2 hours".
    I'd buy that hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroFish View Post
    Except that lights were ON the entire time.
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

I have some more assumptions.

It can be a combination of high co2 with "not enough" o2. The o2 level was fine for the co2 level you had before, just above the "limit point", a small increase of co2 would also increase the boundary of that "gasping point" and start causing the fish to gasp. I think this one is not likely the case because that means your fish were always in stress (hiding/inactive) as the o2 was already very close to the "gasping point" before you did any change to the co2.

It can also be unstable co2, co2 level kept increasing and never stop at a level during the day, lack of degassing method (canister/scum). This assumption can not be true if the co2 was off already in your first trip because co2 level was decreasing when it got turned off, the gasping behavior can't start happening when co2 was decreasing, it must happens before the co2 is off.

I am still very agree that rushing co2 or upping co2 without frequently observation are always bad.
    Regards

Franco

Yeah, I stressed my fish today, male ramirezi lost color and emperor tetra female looking stressed to,
    I closed co2 for 2h, drop checker still yellowish , I have turned it on now but still looking at fish every 15-20min.

I hope I'll nail that CO2 rate today

And I work from home