Thread: Changing KH Standard in the Drop Checker

1. Changing KH Standard in the Drop Checker

Why couldn't I use a KH standard of 2 in my drop checker and make my green zone closer to 20 ppm CO2 (instead of the holy 30 ppm)? It seems you could put any known KH standard (instead of the holiest of holies (sp), KH 4) in there to create a custom "green" zone corresponding to pH = 6.6, the point where bromthymol blue indicator is green.

I read the pH/KH/CO2 sticky and did a quick search and didn't see anyone talking about this. I'm relatively new to all this freshwater stuff, btw.

You could do that. You could also change it to use 5dKH.

Or you could use a different pH range and indicator entirely. I suggested a 4 KH mostly to target the 30 ppm range of CO2, maybe 8-10 years ago, but, most of MY tanks could not use such a solution, as my tanks are higher than 30 ppm.
    I do not use drop checkers, nor suggest them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post
    Or you could use a different pH range and indicator entirely.
    Ah, your holiness...Of course, and I see why bromthymol blue is a good choice.

I recently ordered the Milwaukee MA957 regulator along with a 5 lb. canister because a 2.5 lb. canister would be top heavy with that regulator. I see you're building mini-regulators to go with your 20 oz. paintball canisters. How cool is that. Could I safely refill a 20 oz. canister with my 5 lb. canister?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barr View Post
    I do not use drop checkers, nor suggest them.
    What is the best cost-effective way to monitor CO2 levels in our planted tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Detrius Maximus View Post
    What is the best cost-effective way to monitor CO2 levels in our planted tanks?
    Looking at your plants whether they have enough and looking to your shrimp if it is not too much!

Co2 indicator

And patience! Or one or the other will be a mess/ dead😏

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-han View Post
    Looking at your plants whether they have enough and looking to your shrimp if it is not too much!
    In the pursuit of luminance

There are a few good bell weather plants, Riccia perhaps being the most effective and easiest to see.

If it pearls anywhere from 1/2 way through or before the photo period, and you have some tied to a stone or wood somewhere on the bottom, or mid level, then you are in good shape.
    But then you have Riccia......

I know which plants are the wimpiest CO2 plants in each tank, so if they do well, then I'm okay.
    If that does not answer the question, then I resort to testing.
    Generally KH/pH meters, and a few other tricks to account for the KH that might be non Carbonate.

8. Canary in a coal mine - awesome. I will try that. The response time is major drawback to drop checker. The limiting step is the diffusivity of CO2 in water. How about a "patch" with semipermeable membrane, large surface area to volume, allows CO2 to diffuse in, definitely not as sexy as the ADA drop checker.

pH accuracy and resolution to the user's ability to read the DC is the main issue, you have a very tough time telling what pH it is.

Then there's the slow response time, all the glass blowers around seem to be unable to make something useful there...........