Thread: CO2 spread and current, sea swirl

CO2 spread and current, sea swirl

I've been poondering this device for some time.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sea_Swirl...FIWMEW-vi.html

It would direct the CO2 rich water in/out/around the leaves, but then many locations would not have a still placid flow.
    I guess I want a low pressure, but high flow undulating device.

I had one of those on a reef tank. It worked well. Maybe you could change the output fitting to something with a large opening to reduce the pressure or install a tee fitting with large openings?

What about a penductor or similar mounted on the outlet? You won't be the full flow probably with the pressure loss, but it may add some extra low velocity flow.

Another thought, what about a manifold for a return from the sump and then some supplemental stream pumps? I'm having trouble deciding on this vs a spraybar or other branching locking returns.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/short

-
    S

Quote Originally Posted by shoggoth43 View Post
    What about a penductor or similar mounted on the outlet? You won't be the full flow probably with the pressure loss, but it may add some extra low velocity flow.

Another thought, what about a manifold for a return from the sump and then some supplemental stream pumps? I'm having trouble deciding on this vs a spraybar or other branching locking returns.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/short

-
    S
    Ugly

But the penductor was one idea, but has the trade off.

The other is to use a wide lip that hits a 90 degree bend.
    Or add a 3/4" to 1" to 1.5" PVC over say 3-4 inches each.
    But a 1.5" U shaped return is a big old ugly thing also.

There's always the wave maker like devices.

I would guess one of the wavemaker type units would be your best bet at that point unless you'd be willing to do some sort of Under Gravel grid or jet system to get the CO2 down low. Probably hard to adjust after the fact though. I don't know that you'd get the kind of flow you're looking for although it might allow the CO2 infused water to be shoved around pretty well. I may just try the locline/manifold idea and stuff it up under the trim of the tank so it's not so obvious. If it doesn't work I won't be out a whole lot of $$$ and can move on to the spraybar or more typical locline "branches". The Locline can probably be wrapped with the right mosses so it would just blend in more or less so that's another option I suppose. I guess moving parts in the tank bother me. I had an SAE decide to stuff itself into the Koralia the other day so even items that "should" be safe aren't always and having something that might be hard to get at to clean or maintain is always an issue. The Ocean Motion type wavemakers spring to mind where it may not be easy to get at or require a lot of extra plumbing.

Maybe a couple of stream pumps? One set up as a gyre type flow and then every so often shut it down and use the other one for a more direct spot blasting, or maybe reverse the gyre to try and flush out the stagnant spots?

-
    S

I think I get pretty good distribution from my simple spray bar. I used small sinking pellets to demonstrate. I had a Koralia for a while as well, bit didn't think it added anything from this. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/qMQ_iNnNVUo