Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12long Coast of Maine Sunrise

12long B.O.B (now with led dimming video!)

Hurricane Journal

As i stated I have today off from work because of Sandy Vajj lol. This 12 long has been a work in progress since May or earlier. At that point i started collecting items for this tank starting with 10lbs of seiryu stone. I got the tank from amazon in June, only problem was I was still at my parent's house and they did not want another tank! Well i finally moved to my new apartment in Sept and got right to setting this beauty up! Was literally what i was looking most forward to. Sad i know! So on to some pics and info on the setup.

Tank: Mr Aqua 12 gallon long

Light: Deep blue 30" dual T5NO light, bulbs are only 24" long though, seems to be growing the hc fine for now in the dsm, will see once flooded, kinda want to try a new Ray2 led

Filter: Eheim 2213 with a custome 36" acrylic spray bar, hear this tank is hard to keep flow in

Substrate: Aqua Soil New Amazonia on told of old

Co2: Will be running co2 into another eheim 1103 i got, this one also leaks, really hope i can fix this. Not sure if it will be run on it's own with loc-line outflows. Or plumbed inline with the eheim to help with flow since it is above my 20 long on a rack with almost 5' of head height. We will see what works best.

Plants: Mostly HC Cuba, possibly et mixed in. I think i may be doing a large bush of rotala colorata in the middle as the "sunrise", think it is a small enough leaf to look good and add a nice red. Also just got 2 erios japans will be placing at the top of each "mountain"

Fauna: Planning on using this as mostly a PFR tank. Thinking i might add a school of 12 or so micro rasboras once the shrimp population establishes.

Here is what the tank looked like once i first started setting it up, hope you guys like the rock set up, any advice would be greatly appreciated:
    12L 1.jpg

The dsm of the HC and rotala colorata:
    12L 2.JPG
    12L 3.JPG

2 weeks into dsm, really coming in now:
    12L 4.JPG

As it sits today. Decided i had a my co2 split already so why not try running some in at maybe 3bps. I doubt it will help but co2 is cheap!
    12L 5.jpg

The dsm has really gone amazing! Could not be happier, all that growth is in a month or less. I have not over watered as it seems everyone does and have seen no signs of mold or fungus. People seem to miss the "dry" part in "dry start method" hahaha. I think i will flood it in another two weeks or so, have waited this long and i really want a full carpet before i flood.

As always i appreciate any negative or positive comments. I am no where near a pro at this and the main point of me posting this is to get some of the "pros" advice and input. I still need to get 2 more check valves for the co2 and figure out a way to plug my acrylic spray bar. Other wise i think i have all my bases covered knock on wood. I will give the tank atleast another 2 weeks of full on "nothing living" co2 blast once i flood to give the hc the best run at not melting. I think i will cry if it melts after this 6 month build. But we will see.

I will try to stay on top of this journal more than my 20, something like Gerry does. But i know that wont happen between building a new fedex building and a baby on the way. Seems like all i do is eat, sleep, work and clean my fish tanks these days. Poor me i know. Really cant complain with a baby BOY on the way, feb 18th cant wait!!! That's all folks, look forward to your advice.
    Last edited by Forumsnow; 12-03-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Change title

Good job overall! Your carpet seems almost filled in. I like the left side of the arrangement, but the big rock on the right is bothering me a bit. I would like to see it more in. If you could switch the big rock with the one in front of it, I think it will look even better!

In the end, it is your tank. I'm no pro by far either. But I think I got a good idea about flow of the tanks.

When you flood the tank, make sure that you are dosing EI. I was up at Gerry's when Tom came in and scaped it. I remember him telling Gerry to dose heavy and do WCs every few days. PM Gerry and see what he says.

You also want some current in the tank as well. Not sure how strong the Ehiems are. In my small tanks, I use Koralia nanos. Other than that, tank looks great!

Congrats on the baby boy...
    Thanks

JJ

Plants give me peace!

I really like the layout of the rocks; the vast space between them creates a great flow in the tank. Looks natural. I think once the HC grows in between the rocks it will look even better. What kind of micro rasboras were you thinking? Also, I was wondering how you go about adding CO2 in through the filter.

Thanks for the comments guys! The funny part is the rock on the right was actually my favorite of course but maybe if I get the day off again. I asked for the advice so I will atleast give it a shot, I just removed most of the hc up there to make room for the erios so it should be to hard to move around. I have a koralikicking around I can throw in there if need be bit the eheim 1103 can do 700gph. I know it will not do anything close to that since it is a needle wheel but I am hoping it is enough. And to answer your question greenthumb co2 will be going into that pump not the filter. Was just unsure weather to run the pump inline with the filter.

Not super certain on the fish yet. Would really love some ideas. Probably whatever small schooling fish my lfs has.

And great advice on the ei, that is what I was planning on doing. I am a firm believer in ei. Also plan on doing lots and lots of water changes the first couple months. It's only 12 gallons so that shouldn't be to hard.

Thank you also I am super excited for my little guy to get here I am sure he will love fish. Thanks again for the advice and kind words I really appreciate it.

Looks like I am getting another couple of hours off of work again Guess fedex doesn't want me pushing dirt in the rain, this project has been a nightmare. So I'll try moving that rock and snapping a few pics.

Looks like I got another day off. Damn sandy is costing me money! Just ordered a reef keeper lite off a guy on APC last night I have to pay for! Oh well atleast now I have time to play

JJ I told my wife what you said about that stone and she agreed. And she had told me she loved it, she's always afraid to give me her real opinion for some reason, just supportive I guess. So I am starting to see what you two are saying. I will try changing things around today and take some pictures to see what people think.

Thanks again for the advice. This is the most planning and prep I have ever put into a tank. I really want it perfect.

keep the picture of how you had it as reference incase things go awry when you try to rearange... I too liked the rock on the right
    Ryan Griffiths

"No snowflake falls in an inappropriate place."

Thanks alot drgreen. I have so much time on my hands today i am not used to so i decided to give JJ's idea a try. When i was playing around with the 2 rocks i think i like the one on the bottom the way it is but i flipped around the top one and saw it has this really awesome crevice running up the middle of it. I think it now looks more like a natural mountain top. Only trouble is now i am second guessing the left side! lol On to some pics

Here it is after i flipped it before i finished filling in the soil. Added maybe a cup of aqua soil more.
    12L 8.JPG

Up close of the new config
    12L 10.jpg

Another of the final out come. Still going to trim some more of the hc around the tank to fill in more in spots. I think one of the erios japans will look great up at the very top i have left a little open. Not sure where the second one will go.
    12L 11.JPG

And finally the full tank shot. Cleaned the glass a bunch since the pics yesterday.
    12L 9.JPG

Thanks for the input guys :-)

I'm liking that new right side man. It feels more gentle and natural to me. It's hard to tell from that angle, but would you say the right side is now the primary focal point?

I'm also doing a 12g Long Iwagumi dry start (see my signature below), so if you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Beedee yes i would say the right side has total taken over as the focal point. Starting to think i used to much soil but it might look really good once filled in. Thanks for your opinion.

After 24hrs I am still liking the changes. I just stuck a co2 line in there yesterday and call me crazy but I think the plants looked a little more perky today :-)

I have the light shifted more to the right to help the plants take back hold quicker. Unfortunately it looks like I will need to buy a shop light or something to get enough spread for the whole tank. It is a 30" fixture but it only has 24" bulbs and fixtures. It was the first light I ever bought so I was clueless at the time. So I have 12" of tank I need to cover.

Thinking about buying a Ray2 for it in the future. Does anyone know if these are dimmable? I have a reef keeper on the way that has the option to run dimming. Would really really love to try that out as I think it can really help with co2 and ati doesnt make a suitable fixture for this small of tank. Thanks ahead of time for any input.