Looking for Fissidens fontanus

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Well I just submitted an order to them and will post the results.

I purchased some Fissidens and 5 different mosses.

I will expect them end of next week I would think. Hopefully they will survive the overseas trip...

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to get this via swap and I am always too late LOL

[email protected]

Junior Poster
Aug 6, 2009
I've bought from aquaticmagic three times. Twice got the nano diffuser in good condition, no problem. Next time, bought from their Ebay ad "3 way Brass CO2 splitter"... Item they sent was nearly the same except for connector. Female end instead of male end as pictured. Unusable without the right connector. I patiently answered their questions and sent them the requested pics. Finally, they asked me to send it back, to China, which I refused. Well, not finally, finally they ignored me. Paypal dispute was closed when they refunded half of total cost of item as I requested. Thank you paypal or they would have left me hanging.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Well my experience was as follows:

1. Created order online and paid via Paypal immediately. Order confirmation and payment e-mail confirmation received. Nice web site and easy to order.
2. Sent an e-mail 2-3 days after order was placed asking about ETA of shipping. No reponse.
3. Follow up e-mail 3 days later. No response.
4. Stopped checking mailbox after 2 weeks and no contact.
5. 2 weeks after that, found a package with my plants. Not sure how long they had been there as I get very little mail and don't check daily. My fault entirely.
6. Plants esp the fissidens were now dirty water and brown or melted.
7. Packing was great however. Kudos to those folks.
8. A note with the package noted that if unhappy to contact person X, but no way to contact that person was given:rolleyes:

Summary:

Of $120 order, I may have ended up with a few useful strands of some type of moss, not even sure what it is. Worth about .50 IMO.

The packing and labeling was TERRIFIC!. Really. Had I found the plants in time, I am sure they would have been fine. The moss portions were a nice size, just brown.

Very disappointed. Had I known at least when it was shipped even, I could have kept a better eye out. After not hearing from them or seeing the web site order status unchanged week after week, I assumed that was the last I would hear from them after they got my money.

I don't need an ASN (advanced ship notice) sent via EDI (electronic data interchange), but a simple e-mail saying 'hey your stuff left our facility' would have been great. I would have kept checking my mailbox and would have found them sooner I think.

In the 95F degree heat we had at the time in FL, there was no way they would make it. Unseasonal heat wave at the time didn't help at all

Since they were able to send me an order confirmation, not like my spam filter blocked e-mail from them, but I also checked.

Again, my fault for having basic expectations.

Hope others have a better experience.

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Well i've ordered multiple times and i never had any issues with their shipments. Don't expect a lot of moss for what you pay (e.g. 2" by 2" is litterally 2" by 2" but Fissidens is growing all over my tank now (stupid weed) so if anybody wants something and is willing to pay the shipping via PayPal i am more then happy to send some, or trade against some other plants.

B

bbeddes

I've had decent success ordering both plants and hardware through Aquatic Magic, but there was probably some luck involved. Keep in mind that their stuff is shipped all the way from Singapore, and a number of things can go wrong along the way. I have heard of people that had their plant shipments from AM opened and seized by US customs.... apparently it's not a totally legal method of importing plants. The plants I ordered were Anubias (pretty durable) and they arrived in good shape. Interestingly, the package was marked as "home decor" for customs declaration. I wouldn't normally risk buying plants all the way from Singapore, but it was some Ebay special where they offered 2 plants for five bucks and free shipping. I figured no huge loss if it didn't work out. I've also ordered co2 tubing and glass diffusers through them and didn't have a problem.

A good place to check for Fissidens would be AquaBid. Aquatic Magic peddles their stuff there as well, but there are usually other DOMESTIC sellers that have it, and usually in larger portions. There is a seller called Herpnut that has some on there now.