Looking for Hygrophila salicifolia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Hygrophila salicifolia

I've found a few online vendors selling H. corymbosa 'Angustifolia' mislabeled as H. salicifolia, but no one selling the real thing. I'm looking for the real deal - see the attached picture (not my photo), front right - which has a square stem and is even narrower than 'Angustifolia.' Anyone know where I can obtain some in the US?

Attached Files
    Last edited by LRJ; 03-21-2017, 06:21 AM. Reason: Please remove link. It was an error and can't figure out how to remove it.

LRJ - the only Hygro I see is difformis. The plant to its right is a Potamogeton species. Possibly Potamogeton wrightii, which is not in the American hobby.

H. corymbosa 'Angustifolia' is a valid name because Angustifolia is not a separate species but a form of corymbosa.

The real salicifolia from Japan and Taiwan are probably not in the American hobby either.

I'm trying a new 'curtain' plant in the right front corner of my tank - Crypt aponogetifolia. But it is about 3X bigger than it ought to be for that function. But it'll be fun confirming that suspicion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikez View Post
      LRJ - the only Hygro I see is difformis. The plant to its right is a Potamogeton species. Possibly Potamogeton wrightii, which is not in the American hobby.

H. corymbosa 'Angustifolia' is a valid name because Angustifolia is not a separate species but a form of corymbosa.

The real salicifolia from Japan and Taiwan are probably not in the American hobby either.

I'm trying a new 'curtain' plant in the right front corner of my tank - Crypt aponogetifolia. But it is about 3X bigger than it ought to be for that function. But it'll be fun confirming that suspicion.
      Thanks, Pikez! To my eye it appeared very similar to the plant shown in this drawing, which is why I thought that's what it was. Looks like a bunch of the Dutch guys were using this as a curtain a few years back. Whatever type of Potamogeton it is, sure wish I could obtain some, because it seems great for that purpose. Finding a suitable ribbon-like plant for the front corner of a 2 ft tank has been a challenge. I've tried Vallisnerias, but they're too invasive to be anywhere but inside of a pot. Suppose Sagittaria subulata is an option, but heard it's tricky to make it grow tall.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how that Crypt aponogetifolia works out for you. Looks like a monster for sure.

Comment

If the corner does not get as much light, Sagittaria subulata can grow to the right height, but it is even more invasive than Vallisneria. Frankly, trimming the runners should be considered part of the maintenance and biomass control. Just like topping Ludwigia Pantanal.

You could try Crypt crispatula, balansae, usteriana. You could also try Crinum calamistratum. May be Isoetes lacustris. Or Eleocharis montevidensis. One or two stems of Hydrocotyle leucocephala works nicely.

Comment

Working...
        X