Floutire Black Sand Cap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dutch,

So what was your final choice for the cap? Have you started the whole DSM with the MTS? I'm interested in how this will go, I'll be starting my 120G in about 1 month and will be doing a DSM also, and most likely the MTS.

Mike

Comment

i ended up going with the Black Diamond Blasting compound since I am going to be dosing EI as well. Covered the mud nicely, and as Tom stated the capillary action of the small grain size pulls the water up nicely.

Comment

It looks like it's coming together nicely. I was thinking of going with Black Diamand also but I'm having a hard time finding it in Canada. I'm also having a hard time finding some nice drift wood. Tom has some nice pieces but I'm pretty sure shipping is in the $100 range, which is way to much for me. I can get some at the LFS but they don't have much character, yours look nice.

Mike

Comment

Hello there,

quick question: do you know what kind of wood this is? looks much different than the logs you usually see in the shops....

cheers
          papst

Comment

That would be Tom's Manzanita, you can find it in the trade forum.
            Ty for the feedback, planting begins today!

Comment

How big is your tank and how much top soil and clay did you use to make your mud?

Thank you,

Mike

Comment

Mike,

tank is 155 gallon bow. (60x24x~24)
                I ended up using about 80 pds of dirt (pulverized top soil) and 5 pds of clay. This made about a 1-1.5 inch layer of mud. Topped with a 1.5 - 2 inch cap.
                Under the mud is dolomite and potash.

~John

here is a new shot. got the foreground all planted this weekend (tedious work). plants were stressed out and not in the best of shape, but they are turning greener now after a couple of days:

Comment

Thanks a lot John. That give me a good idea of how much to use. I'm doing pretty much the same thing but with a 125G tank.

What do you have planted for ground cover? Did you get it online? I'm probably going to be planting Marsilea but I'm having a hard time finding it.

Comment

hc on the left, glosso on the right, about 12 pots each from aquariumplants. Like I said, was not too happy with the plants, some roots were starting to rot. etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X