No announcement yet.

Plant Fest 2008!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife plans on attending, it should be fun..

Comment

Let me know if you are serious about the Marine part.
      I may let a limited number come for that part.
      I have myself and 3 others coming.

I do not have the dorm rooms available at this point but am still looking and should have something cooked up by this week's end.

FW is set up already.

Regards,
      tom Barr
      www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Are both the freshwater and marine portions taking place based out of Gainesville? Or are they in two different cities?

Also, I see a Gainesville Airport. Why not fly into that instead of Tampa or Orlando? I've never been to FL, I'm completely unfamiliar with the areas.

But I am VERY excited about attending the Plantfest, just need more info to decide if I can afford both the freshwater and marine...

-Jason

Comment

Originally posted by rusticitas View Post
          Are both the freshwater and marine portions taking place based out of Gainesville? Or are they in two different cities?

Also, I see a Gainesville Airport. Why not fly into that instead of Tampa or Orlando? I've never been to FL, I'm completely unfamiliar with the areas.

But I am VERY excited about attending the Plantfest, just need more info to decide if I can afford both the freshwater and marine...

-Jason
          I too would like to know what would be the best hub for staying at. I have many friends in Orlando so I was thinking about flying in there and crashing with them, but as I'm not old enough to rent a car (curse them, 20 is old enough!), I may have to find a ride with another member who is coming or else bribe my friends to taxi me around.

On another note, I'm planning on attending! I have my flight already booked and everything. Very excited. Only problem is I don't know the area (except Orlando, and even then), at all. So some more detailed information on exactly where we're going to be would be much appreciated, if possible.

Anywho!

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

Mike,

Where are you coming from? I am in eastern PA and would be flying out of Newark most likely. I've not booked at all just yet, trying to figure out all these details and make sure I don't get stranded! :-)

-Jason

Originally posted by Gar View Post
            I too would like to know what would be the best hub for staying at. I have many friends in Orlando so I was thinking about flying in there and crashing with them, but as I'm not old enough to rent a car (curse them, 20 is old enough!), I may have to find a ride with another member who is coming or else bribe my friends to taxi me around.

On another note, I'm planning on attending! I have my flight already booked and everything. Very excited. Only problem is I don't know the area (except Orlando, and even then), at all. So some more detailed information on exactly where we're going to be would be much appreciated, if possible.

Anywho!

Thanks,

-Mike

Comment

If anyone else is coming into Orlando, you should share a car with them, I think there are some buses and it's not that far(2 hours if you drive).

You'd take the toll turnpike north and then I-75 to Archer Blvd in Gainesville. It'll be the first right after the exit, you will see Motel 6 on the right side next to Waffle House.

We meet there at 8pm Fri and leave to head off for the day.

Most fly into Tampa or Orlando, whatever is cheapest. I have friends in Tampa and it's a little closer for me at the end of the Marine part than Orlando.

Some flew into JAX in Jacksonville. It's closer to Gainesville and may be cheaper.
              They got speed trap tickets coming down 301 through a couple of AAA labeled speed trap hillbilly towns. Careful, 25 mph speed limit means no more than 25mph. 27 mph means a ticket.

It's going to be Hot, 90-100F most days, 100% humidity, think the Tropical Jungle.
              Rain most days in the afternoon for 1-2 hours.
              So we try to get an early start and out of the water by mid to late after noon.
              Lightening is a real issue. There's no way to predict showers and weather other than looking at things locally and also the radar. We had a hurricane off one side of the coast one year

Regards,
              Tom Barr
              www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Tom,

I'm a little confused as to where the marine part is located. From looking over the initial posting, I could not clearly see where it was... I am VERY interested in both, but I may be in over my head for the marine, just not sure. (I'm a quick study, though.)

-Jason

Comment

just paid $300 for my greyhound tickets from boston to Gainsville. on a students budget this aint cheap.... hopefully the 1d, 8h, 30m long bus ride will be worth it when i get there looking forward to it tom

Comment

Now that's dedication and commitment!
                    Do not worry Kyle, I will not let you become a Kenny G clone once they are done with you at school

We just bought plane tickets.

I'll post more on the Marine part once we figure out more where we will all stay. since it's mid week, things might be a little easier.
                    Summer is mostly Green algae in the keys, so it's a bit more interesting in some ways and the lighting is better. We should still find a lot of red algae also though.

Regards,
                    Tom Barr
                    www.BarrReport.com

Comment

Would anyone be down to camp out for the freshwater Plantfest? I just got back from camping on the James river. It was SUPER fun and very cheap . We used hammocks, so we slept great every night. A hammock with a mosquito net is a must. A nice hammock would be about as much as the motel rooms, plus it will last much longer . Also If anyone is on the way from Alabama I'd be happy to pick up 2 people at most. Let me know.

Thanks,
                      Creighton

Comment

The dates are July and not August, correct? The initial agenda says July but the days are 8/23, etc...

Thanks,

John

Comment

Yes, all dates are for July, I edited the dates to match(only the month).

July 18th-20th, FW, July 22-24th, the Marine part.

Regards,
                          Tom Barr
                          www.BarrReport.com

Comment

I have been considering this ever since I read your post on the planted tank forum. For someone who is new to planted tanks it sounds like a wealth of knowledge along with some fun throw in. Is there some type of registration or do we just show up in the parking lot? I live in the N suburbs of Atlanta so I would be driving down Friday night if I can work it all out. F/W portion only. What time do you expect we would be finished on Monday? I would probably drive back home that evening to be at work on Tue. Glad I bought a hybrid a couple months ago or flying would be cheaper, lol.

Comment

Just let me know to make sure to look for you and PM your contact info so I can get a hold of you should you become lost, over sleep etc.

No formal registration, just a standard liability waiver in case you try and tease a gator, cannot swim but say you can, inherent nature of travel and water recreation.
                              I'm good about telling folks what to expect and do, but you can never be too safe or account for all the messes folks can get themselves into.

Regards,
                              Tom Barr
                              www.BarrReport.com

Comment

is anyone going to be flying in to Jacksonville? I will becuase the plane tickets were significantly cheaper now i just need to find a ride. please let me know if anyone is going to be driving from Jacksonville to Gainsville I can throw in $ for gas.

I would rent a car but the rental service said you have to be 25 to rent a car and i just turned 21.

Comment

Working...
                                X