No announcement yet.

Fablau 75 gallon tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, of course I removed the mix I added yesterday in the "Pre-mixed" section, I thought that was a liquid mix.

Also, I see we had already TNC Trace Elements, which has different values... is that something different for real?

Comment

• Cheers fab
      Jason

Rotala Butterfly "Planted Tank Calculators"
      glassboxgardeners.com

Comment

• TNC also do a premixed liquid lite and a all in one complete version, I'll get the details later today.
        Jason

glassboxgardeners.com

Comment

• Thanks Jason. I have also removed "TNC Traces" and left "TNC Trace Elements" because they where exactly the same stuff.

Comment

• Small update

Yesterday I got a new nitrates test kit (I got the one from Seachem this time instead than the usual API which I hate because too hard to use), and I measured nitrates again before water change, and, well, still too low! Test result gave again 5-10 ppm and this time I tested with the reference solution this test kit provides (very convenient!)

How can that be possible?? The only thing I can think of is Purigen, that I have been having in the filter for the past month or so... can that really be? Can Purigen take nitrates out?? So... I removed it yesterday together with some carbon I put trying to reduce organics due to consisten BBA, and I will test again in 1 week. I am dosing over 21 ppm No3 per week, so that value must go up... your thoughts on this?

Comment

• Purigen and Carbon both remove organics which eventually result in increase in nitrates after bacteria breaks it down. So you will get a uptick in nitrates but plants are consuming what they want. There is a guy on FB who is double dosing EI but his nitrates is still bottoming out.
              the only other suspect is ceramic media in canisters which can denitrate if anaerobic bacteria grows.

Comment

• Originally posted by rajkm View Post
                Purigen and Carbon both remove organics which eventually result in increase in nitrates after bacteria breaks it down. So you will get a uptick in nitrates but plants are consuming what they want. There is a guy on FB who is double dosing EI but his nitrates is still bottoming out.
                the only other suspect is ceramic media in canisters which can denitrate if anaerobic bacteria grows.
                Well, what I see is the opposite: less nitrates in the water. Never happened before, and I have even less plant mass than I used to... unless something weird is going on with my old substrate and, yes, old bio media in my sump, but is that possibly happened all of a sudden??!! Weird... anyway, I'll measure again in 1 week and see if there is any difference. Thanks for your posting Rajkm!

Comment

• Fab just wanna say thanks for all the work you and Jason do on the calculator. Its a big help to me and Im sure tons of other people too.

Fwiw Purigen has never seemed to affect nitrate levels in my tanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by fablau View Post

Well, what I see is the opposite: less nitrates in the water.
                    By bacteria breaking it down means it breaks down organics in water column. Once Purigen or Carbon absorb it, there is no further breakdown from bacterial activity and can result in lower nitrates. That is one of the selling points of them, because many people use it to increase duration between water changes.

Comment

• Purigen is using to shrimp tanks for lowering no3...

Comment

• Thanks Burr, over time the calc will get even better lots of plans and ideas ahead and it's also thanks to the users feedback and of course Flores (wet) for the original one.
                        Jason

glassboxgardeners.com

Comment

• Purigen.. Small partial quote from seachem

Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity.
                          Jason

glassboxgardeners.com

Comment

• Originally posted by rajkm View Post
                            Purigen and Carbon both remove organics which eventually result in increase in nitrates after bacteria breaks it down. So you will get a uptick in nitrates but plants are consuming what they want. There is a guy on FB who is double dosing EI but his nitrates is still bottoming out.
                            With almost half a foot of substrate depth, there is plenty of anaerobic denitrification going on, but this process needs a carbon source. This is a possible explanation.

The other thought is that with all those stems plants, your tank could easily be consuming 2-3 ppm nitrates per day.

Comment

• Other than curiosity, why pursue this? 5-10 ppm nitrate is enough for most plants.

Again, consider pulling all plants out, tossing out half your substrate and vacuum the other half. Re-plant two-thirds of the stems back. It's a 2-hour job. But I think worth your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikez View Post
                                Other than curiosity, why pursue this? 5-10 ppm nitrate is enough for most plants.
                                Again, consider pulling all plants out, tossing out half your substrate and vacuum the other half. Re-plant two-thirds of the stems back. It's a 2-hour job. But I think worth your time.
                                I've always wondered how to do this for old tanks. When half the substrate is tossed, do you add in new substrate? How much would you say could be added without making the inhabitants uncomfortable?

Comment

Working...
                                X