No announcement yet.

What is the point of using an inverted page table?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point of using an inverted page table?

I am looking at different ways in which a page table could be organized, one of which ways is using an inverted page table. From what I can understand ... there is a row for every frame in the disk, so we essentially have a page table which looks exactly like the structure of the actual disk, which defeats the purpose of having a page table to begin with

I am not sure how page tables relate to the planted tank hobby....

I think you are on the wrong forum...

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

Provided of Course The KH, GH pH Balance is Maintained

Many of my plants have found that inverted page tables can be reasonably efficient.:gw
      • Fewer accesses are needed if you can have a successful search in only a couple of probes (on average)
      • when doing a lookup in a page table that is more than a couple of levels deep.
      As address spaces get bigger, page tables get more unwieldy. A 64-bit address might imply something like 5 levels of table (10 bit index for all but last) many plants and a few critters have a hard time keeping track.

As virtual address spaces grow so much bigger than physical addresses, it becomes possible that space and time can be saved by inverting the page table -- mapping physical to virtual, instead of the other way around.

I have found that Vals and Sags benefit most and E. tenellus is just a total pig about it either way.

The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
      • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
      • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
      • When in doubt "don't."

Around here IPT stands for "irresistible Planted Tank"