Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best food for rcs.

Hi,

I have about 50 to 70 rcs and I would like to find the best food for them. So far I found Azoo Max Growth at $12.99/33gr bag. Do you folks have any suggestions ?
    "Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"

"In the Shadow of Hermes"

Everything!

Hi,

Cherry Red Shrimp eat anything and everything!

The are principally algae eaters, so food for algae eaters is good, the vegetarian flake foods work well but so do regular flake food, especially those with high vegetable content.

Blanched or par-boiled vegetables are great, zucchini, spinach, romaine and so forth.

Bloodworm as a treat.

They really will eat just about anything...

They do best when allowed to graze for a couple of hours.

Biollante
    The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
    • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
    • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
    • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Originally posted by Biollante View Post
      Hi,

Cherry Red Shrimp eat anything and everything!

The are principally algae eaters, so food for algae eaters is good, the vegetarian flake foods work well but so do regular flake food, especially those with high vegetable content.

Blanched or par-boiled vegetables are great, zucchini, spinach, romaine and so forth.

Bloodworm as a treat.

They really will eat just about anything...

They do best when allowed to graze for a couple of hours.

Biollante
      Thanks Bio. It looks like I don't have to feed them that expensive food all the time.

Comment

I feed mine mostly with Spirulina 20. They reproduce like rabbits. I see no need to feed them special food.

Pepetj
        Santo Domingo

Comment

Originally posted by pepetj View Post
          I feed mine mostly with Spirulina 20. They reproduce like rabbits. I see no need to feed them special food.

Pepetj
          Santo Domingo
          I guess. My wife agrees with you........no need for "special" foods. Thanks Pepetj

Comment

It's all good.

Hi all,
            I hope everyone was able to enjoy their Thanksgiving Day. I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Everything I've fed to my Cichlids, e.g. flake food, frozen blood worms, etc. I have seen RCS eat too. They also like the Spirulina and Brine shrimp sticks from AES, http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategor...na-Sticks-1-lb. Both of those products are very good if you have other bottom feeders to feed. Cherry Red Shrimp really are great little survivors and should not require a lot of pampering.
            :encouragement: Roll You're Own: Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
            Mixed with a sound of water's murmuring
            a sensitive plant in a garden growing.

Comment

LIke your fish, variety is key. Zucchini slices, deshelled peas, etc are the best supplements to quality algae pellets and such.

Comment

Thanks guys. Now, I've heard that Ottos will die after they finished eating the diatoms in the tank. Is this true ? If it's not true should I feed them algae wafers ? I have about 20 Ottos in two tanks.

Comment

Ottos will eat algae wafers if there aren't any large competitors to scare them away. Since algae wafers generally contain some meat, most fish will snack on them and drive the ottos away. Veggies work well--zucchini, romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts. I prefer the romaine lettuce and sprouts as they are less messy. Since I have both SAEs and ottos, I cut the sprouts up and put pieces in different spots in the tank, otherwise the SAE will be stingy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekrindul View Post
                    Ottos will eat algae wafers if there aren't any large competitors to scare them away. Since algae wafers generally contain some meat, most fish will snack on them and drive the ottos away. Veggies work well--zucchini, romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts. I prefer the romaine lettuce and sprouts as they are less messy. Since I have both SAEs and ottos, I cut the sprouts up and put pieces in different spots in the tank, otherwise the SAE will be stingy with it.
                    Hi Ekrindul,

I have fancy goldies in the tanks with the Ottos but, my wife found a couple of spots where she can put the zucchini and the algae wafers for the Ottos. Lol, darn goldies they know the food is there but, they can't get to it. Fun to watch.
                    I'll get some romaine lettuce and sprouts tomorrow.

Comment

Otos love lima beans

Hi barbarossa,
                      I have to admit, I want to try and raise goldies at some point but I have no experience in feeding them. I did not know they were bottom feeders or for that mater that Otos could share the same tank. It does make sense to keep the goldfish away from your Oto's food, good idea. You can also feed the Otos at night to keep the competition away. My Otos feed at night mostly.

Personally, I find zucchini is too much work. It floats and I always end up having to remove it the next day or so. I worry it will pollute the fish tank if left in too long. What I find to be much easier then zucchini are frozen lima beans. If you thaw some frozen lima beans and remove the outer skin, they will be gone the next day. My Otos have gone for almost two years on nothing but spirulina sticks and lima beans thrown into the tank just before lights out.
                      Last edited by Tug; 12-01-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Along with the aforementioned zucchini, brussel sprouts and lima beans, many common fruits and vegetables make excellent supplemental foods. Bean sprouts, yellow squash, peas, carrots, green beans, pumpkin, turnip greens, kale, spinach, romaine, oranges, apples, grapes and bananas, can all be fed to fish. A little experimentation is in order to find out what a particular fish will and won't eat. Like I said, Otos love lima beans.
                        Last edited by Tug; 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tug.
                          My wife fed them last night and she watched them every 10 minutes or so with a flashlight and they were eating lettuce and Hikary algae wafers she "strategically" placed in the tanks. Lol, the goldies were sleeping in a corner and did not have a clue the feast was on.
                          Goldies are trouble especially in a planted tank but, mine are behaving lately. I feed mine Mazury gel food mixed with Gerber veggies and blood worms as a treat 2 times/week. But, they'll eat anything, like pigs and always hungry looking for food. Btw, I thought they were going to eat the Ottos but, they didn't.

Comment

Hi,

My rcs colony is getting bigger and bigger. My wife counted about 112 this morning which means I have about 150 in a 10g moderate to heavy planted tank. I know rcs bio load is not that big of a problem but, really, how many can I have without getting into trouble. The other fauna in this tank is 4 harlequins, 3 neon tetras and one yellow glo fish(had 2 but one managed to jumped out of the tank somehow.........strange, we found it on the carpet.).
                            Last edited by barbarossa4122; 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Or Why You Should Never Pay More Than 59 Cents For Shrimp...

Originally posted by barbarossa4122 View Post
                              Hi,

My rcs colony is getting bigger and bigger. My wife counted about 112 this morning which means I have about 150 in a 10g moderate to heavy planted tank. I know rcs bio load is not that big of a problem but, really, how many can I have without getting into trouble. The other fauna in this tank is 4 harlequins, 3 neon tetras and one yellow glo fish(had 2 but one managed to jumped out of the tank somehow.........strange, we found it on the carpet.).
                              Hi,

If you weren't such a brat I would tell you that from a bio-load point of view, most shrimp, certainly RCS, are self-limiting, they are the first to feel (show) the effects of poor water quality, lack of food, big scary fish and so on... Rather like snails they adjust their numbers to conditions.

With a little effort you can keep amazing numbers...

Too bad you are such a brat or I would tell you this stuff.

Biollante
                              The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
                              • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
                              • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
                              • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Working...
                              X