Fire shrimp bred......also: Super red cherries shrimp and low grade cherries

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I managed to get some fire red cherries recently.

resizedfireshrimp.jpg

They also bred(see fry in pic).

More info:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59905

Grading is a bit like with the Crystal reds.
Same species as Super Red cherries and normal cherries it seems.
Folks are selling them for 8-10$ ea.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
These are the Sakura RCS I think. They are as easy to breed as RCS, so really prolific. CRS are much more hard.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
jonny_ftm;48927 said:
These are the Sakura RCS I think. They are as easy to breed as RCS, so really prolific. CRS are much more hard.

They are a grade up from Sakura's.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Cherries are going through their own defined grading system I guess like Crystals..........

It'll be ironed out in the coming months I'd suspect.
Several in the USA claimed they where a different species and they did not ship any males etc.......

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

csmith

How long have "the powers that be" been grading shrimp? (serious question, I'm curious)

It seems like a marketing scheme of sorts, atleast to me. I would guess a lot of people like shrimp because they're an alternative to fish, not because they're a certain grade of shrimp. I understand the grading system applies to most animals (F1 angels, blue vs. brindle pitbulls, etc.) but I don't get it.. What's the point? To get people to pay more for a higher grade? I'd understand if low grade shrimp lived shorter amounts of time or had some genetic defect that caused an aquatic system to implode or..something, anything that would give a reason for grading. If it was all based on, like jonny_ftm said about the CRS breeding being difficult, how many shrimp would actually reproduce or something like that it'd make sense. Is it just the human nature aspect that makes people want what someone else says is the best?

That being said, those are very nice shrimp. The bright coloring really pops against the black substrate.

C

CL_

After about 3 full years of culling my colony (not very aggressively, I'll admit) of rcs, I didn't get anywhere near this result.
It seems like the East will always be ahead of us in fresh water shrimp breeding haha.
I'm still working on improving my snowball colony's genes, though. I'm sure they will go through something similar as CRS, CBS, tigers, and now RCS as well. I have a good amount of snowballs that have solid white spots on their sides. Only time will tell if anything comes of it.
Once again, nice shrimp. I love how bright they are. :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
They are mighty red, much more than any RCS's of any sort I've ever seen too.

I'm glad they are the same species really, RCS are bullet proof.

Now if they'd breed them to get them 2-3" long etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

C

CL_

Did I see in that thread that you posted somewhere that the guy in Indonesia selling all of the shrimp also had giant red cherries? I wonder how big they are...

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
If it's like the CRS, the higher the grade, the less resistant/less prolific they will be. High consanguinity due to selection favors abnormal individuals sadely

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well mixing some high grade Sakuras with them will still yield nice critters.
The Sakura grades are pretty tough.
Also, as is the case with all F1's bred in your own tanks, they tend to be much tougher.

Regards,
Tom Barr