Malayasian trumpet Snails and ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand
hello all,

I was just wondering about the effects if any, of adding MTS to my tank with ADA soil? I have a few hitch hikers from some plants and was wondering if anyone has them in with ADA aqua soil? I realize they are prolific, but will it help or hinder my tank? I have read on other forums that they would turn the ADA soil to mush, but decided to ask the experts here on their opinion. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Singtoh

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
I don't see why they will cause issues, except on carpetting plants before they root well. They can easily uproot them (glosso, HC...). But once rooted, they no longer harm them

I personally always made a special attention to maintain a high population of snails in my tanks, especially on start

In my 12gal nano, I introduced on purpose pond snails, ramshorns and Malayan trumpet snails. I can count eaily 100 ramshorns, about 50 pond snails. malayan are harder as they hide in soil but, at night I can count often around 20.

They never attacked my plants, even the glosso and P. Helferi new leaves. I never have to remove decaying leaves, they are eaten in few hours regularely. Maintenance is much more easier, no soil syphonning in my shrimp only tank (now I introduced 12 boraras brigittae, but still no need for syphonning).

Many people fight snails. In my expierience, a boom in their population is a helpful reaction to a problem: green algae or decaying leaves of plants (usually both occurs together, since algae blooms happen when plants can't grow), sometimes over-feeding.

If tank is stable, no algae, plants grow well, and their population seems above any control, then probably you could lower the feeding quantities.

So, all these snails are very helpful in a planted tank and won't attack most plants. If not enough food is present, their population will decrease. I really never saw terrible attacks against plants. Apple snails though can attack plants. Also, pond snails are 2 sorts that can be distinguished by sens of rotation of their shell. Only one sort is safe, the other is told to be a plants eater + diseases transmitter. I never came across the bad variety that sounds to be rare in our aquariums

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand
Hello johnny_ftm,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have quite a few Ramshorn snails in the bigger tank now, not out of control yet though. I feed lightly, so they arent reproducing too much. I have a few MTS in a small cherry shrimp breeder tank that came in with some plants, and I have had that tank going for a couple of months now and I don't see them overproducing to much yet either, although, I do see a couple of little ones in there. I agree, I like the Ramshorns, they eat the heck out of algae. You said "soil" in your post(ADA Aquasoil??). My main concern is about the ADA Aquasoil, and if the MTS will make it break down into mud. I read another forum and someone said their Aquasoil turned to mud, and he was blaming the MTS for that. I also read another forum where ADA sent out some bad batches of soil and it turned to mud, so I just wanted to try to ask someone who may have ADA Aquasoil and MTS in the same tank for a decent amount of time and get a better idea if I should put them in with the Aquasoil in the bigger tank???. I really don't want my Aquasoil to be munched into mud if I can help it. I love snails and shrimps in my tanks to help on the algae and excess stuff on the substrate. Thanks again for the reply Johnny, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Cheers,

Singtoh

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Snails are not earthworms, they don't filter/eat soil, just organic detritus. They dig in the soil, but don't eat/filter it. In forums (like in life) people claim many things just because they decided that something is the culprit to a problem they have. Usually the culprit is passing there by case. Much easier to design a culprit then look for a real cause (a process called thinking)

Sorry if my answers seems a bit pretentious, maybe a mood passage :eek:

Now, just wait for others to confirm it, as I never tried ADA AS, but I doubt it and peopel who claim it will have a hard time to prove it.

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand
Ok, I realize that they don't eat the substrate, but I have read that MTS are prolific and due to the fact that they rummage around in the substrate and "turn it over" so to speak, that it breaks the soil down into mud. Just trying to get advise on this before I put some into my tank. I have e-mailed ADA in Japan to see if they have an opinion on it, maybe they have some tanks with MTS?? Thanks for the reply Jonny. Sorry for mispelling your name, I didnt look closely enough at it.:)

Cheers,

Singtoh

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I remove and kill them.
Some view them as ideal, I have tanks where they are not wanted however.
I have plenty of shrimp for that job.

As far as the soil, they do not affect it over time.

I just worry about scratching glass etc when the shells get caught between glass and the scrub pad etc.
Tiny ones cause issues there.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Singtoh

Prolific Poster
Sep 12, 2009
Bangkok,Thailand
Ok, thanks Tom. That was the answer I was looking for, if they actually do turn the ADA soil to mud. I have enough Ramshorn snails and shrimp in the tank now, but was just thinking of adding these stragglers of a different sort to the tank for something different. I think I will not add them to the tank, at least for awhile anyway. I was just wondering if they would be benificial with the Aquasoil in some way. Aquasoil is the "kind", plants and livestock are doing great like never before, I love the stuff. Thanks for the reply Tom, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Frothhelmet

Junior Poster
Feb 27, 2010
Apparently, ADA Amazonia II will turn to mud in 6-7 months without any provocation from MTS. Be prepared to replace it when the water turns permanently milky. If you want a first-hand account of this phenomenon, read this aquarium journal here,

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2169

About mid-way through LondonDragon has this problem.

Cheers