Assasin Snails and Foreground Plants?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
So I picked up some assasin snails to clear through a couple of tanks. I'm noticing that they sort of dredge their body through the aquasoil. Do these guys uproot fine foreground plants (HC, glosso, etc)?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No, Well Maybe Yes

Philosophos;46561 said:
So I picked up some assasin snails to clear through a couple of tanks. I'm noticing that they sort of dredge their body through the aquasoil. Do these guys uproot fine foreground plants (HC, glosso, etc)?

Hi Dan,

If your Assassin Snails are Clea helena, they like sandy substrates and will dislodge what is not well "lodged." :)

In an established tank it shouldn't be to bad, they stir the surface a bit. :gw

Good luck,
Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Ya, it's C. helena. It's the only thing I know of called an assasin snail.

I'll have to give them a test run then and watch closely. It's that or PP nuking the tank before adding fauna, which I'm a touch edgy about.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to get a reply in on Proper Levels! some time tomorrow when I've got more time to write :)

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
What will you be feeding them? Mine seamed to starve on a diet of only MTS.
Biollante, have you ever owned an assasin snail (Clea helena)?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
The tank will have a full stocking of other fish, so plenty of food variation. I feed New Life Spectrum, live bloodworms raised on spirulina and cyclops, algae wafers every now and then, an assortment of frozen/freeze dried foods, and a few new live worm cultures for fry are on order. There should be plenty of meat around the tank.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Tug;46578 said:

Yes, pm me for alternative points of view.

Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Be Reasonable

Biollante,

Don't bring your personal vendetta from the other thread over here and to other threads. Please kindly get off my thread if this is how you're going to behave.

LoudCreature

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2009
Tug;46578 said:

We (culture) a variety of snails for puffers and others, good use of old fish food.

we also culture and inoculate many tanks with various worms that a couple of varieties of so-called assassin snails seem to eat. they are opportunists will also eat small shrimp.

seem to prefer fine sand, will bury themselves and seem to dredge. we suspect they also eat most things they find, round worms, blackworms, young other things. population growth is explosive.

If you have multiple tanks care should be taken to avoid introducing into other tanks.

(tug you ought to know better, Dan you are despicable, Biollante did you no wrong)
LC

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Loudcreature, if you're posting then I'm guessing Biollante is banned or is choosing not to post today; you tend to pop up when he can't be here. I was having a debate with him, nothing more, and he blew up dragging it into other threads. It's unfortunate that he reacted this way, but I didn't insult or attack him personally. This is his own doing, and it's regretful that things have ended up as they have. I've got nothing against him in the least; it's only his principles within planted aquaria that I was arguing with.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I will post how and where I wish.

It is okay, there is no room for any disagreement anyone that wishes an alternate point of view can pm/email me. Not once did I attack you, quite the opposite.

Whenever I think I have information that I think might be useful, I will let folks no and for those who are interested I will reply to them.

Sorry my views are so radical. Yes LoudCreature gets a little defensive, so what, at least there was no misrepresentation of fact.

Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
You're being passive agressive by cross posting "for other points of view PM me" on a number of other threads as a reaction to our debate. You've basically invited other people to tell them why I'm wrong in private. Would you like me to start discrediting you behind your back?

This is your mess, and I honestly can't believe that you're behaving this way. Please don't bother saying anything to me if you're going to keep up like this; I really don't want to put up with this sort of drama.