cherry shrimp question

Patrice

Guru Class Expert
Jan 6, 2006
I got a big bunch of cherry shrimp for my 25 gallon (40 in total).

i am looking for there needs so I can maintain them without problem.

Also, I have been told that they do not like big (50%) water change. is this thrue?

does any one has advise to help me make them happy and healty?

thx

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Patrice;12909 said:
I got a big bunch of cherry shrimp for my 25 gallon (40 in total).

i am looking for there needs so I can maintain them without problem.

Also, I have been told that they do not like big (50%) water change. is this thrue?

does any one has advise to help me make them happy and healty?

thx
Provide them with a good male/female ratio so they can enjoy what they do best.

Patrice

Guru Class Expert
Jan 6, 2006
Yeah :D

but what about water? Is that true that they will not survive with weekly 50% water change?

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Patrice;12911 said:
Yeah :D

but what about water? Is that true that they will not survive with weekly 50% water change?

No, it isn't true. Mine do quite well with both continuous water changing and weekly 50-75% water changes.

nursie

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
Peoria, IL USA
I started out with a dozen on a 10 gallon and I have many more than that now. They get weekly water changes, and a couple of drops of marine iodide in their water with water changes. This was suggested to me by some guys that keep shrimp, and my numbers of shrimp increased after I started adding it. also like a little lower water temp, around

I do not keep fish this tank so that the baby shrimp are not eaten and that the adults are out and about all the time to be watched.

sevenrider860

Junior Poster
Dec 19, 2006
Newnan, GA
I have never experienced shrimp deaths and I perform 30% to 40% water changes on my 10 gallon shrimp-only tank weekly. Unlike my larger tanks that I fill directly from a Python connected to the sink (I add Prime to the water stream), I ensure that the water is treated in a refill bucket before adding it back to the tank.

Brian

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
I think the reason that some people have issues with water changes and shrimp is that person not being careful enough to match temperatures. Shrimp are incredibly sensitive to temp changes etc. But if you match your water best as you can then I wouldnt think youd have any issues.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've used cooler water without issues on most species species.

These shrimp are like flies, at least they breed like them..............

Regards,
Tom Barr

gupp

Junior Poster
Mar 28, 2007
Arizona
I have them in multiple tanks and they multiply very well in all of them. I often do 50% water changes and have never had any trouble. Some of the other shrimp seem a bit more difficult but the cherries seem to be incredibly hardy and prolific.

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
How quickly and easily do these cherry shrimp multiply? I am setting up a 33 gal. tank and I don't know how many to get. I will be putting rainbowfish in with them and I'm worried that they might eat the fry?

thanks!

Crazymidwesterner

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2007
Dixon IL
I dont know anything about rainbow fish but I have cherries with tetras, rubber mouth plecos, a false SAE, a lonely danio:), and some ottos. The shrimp breed like crazy. I do 50% WC's weekly and add tap directly to the tank and treat with seachem prime. When I've had issues and had fish die I have lost very few cherries. They seem to be very hardy to me. I bought a package of 20 a few months ago and I have well over 100. I've given some away and I know many have fell victim to my canister filter. I would think 10 or so in a 33 would be more than enough. You'll soon have 90 anyway! They are usually dirt cheap to.

rcalzadilla

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2007
South Florida
I can tell you that angel fish will eat them readily.
Just bought 20 and the larger angels (2") got after them .
Bought 12 Amano shrimp and also were eaten.

Surprisingly, there still are 2-3 of each hiding in the plants.

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
If you're trying to breed them it's probably best to keep them by themselves. Chances are when you get the shrimp they will be pretty small and possibily an expensive treat for your fish. I've had some lemon tetra's that have gotten hungry and eaten all my baby shrimp. Once the shrimp are full grown they become harder to snack on, but sometimes they still can get picked off by bigger fish.
In my experience you can get a batch of babies every 2 weeks from RCS.

redcaptrio

Junior Poster
Jan 20, 2008
Philippines
this is nice to know, just got cherries myself and planning to breed them.. by the way, wont more than 50% WC mini cycle the tank? i better keep my WCs lesser to help stabilizing the tank and my shrimps happier.. just my two cents..

shane

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2006
I have cherry red shrimp breeding like crazy in my tank. I even find large and small shrimp in both of my filters when I clean them.

Which leads me to another question, what is too many cherry red shrimp for a tank? Will cherry red's eat plants?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Some people recommend up to 5 RCS per gallon! I think you are safe ... for now. :)

They do not eat any plants that I know of ... at least not live plants. It wouldn't surprise me if they eat decaying leaves, since some people boil spinach and put it in with them for a healthy treat.