cherry shrimp question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherry shrimp question

I got a big bunch of cherry shrimp for my 25 gallon (40 in total).

i am looking for there needs so I can maintain them without problem.

Also, I have been told that they do not like big (50%) water change. is this thrue?

does any one has advise to help me make them happy and healty?

thx

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
    I got a big bunch of cherry shrimp for my 25 gallon (40 in total).

i am looking for there needs so I can maintain them without problem.

Also, I have been told that they do not like big (50%) water change. is this thrue?

does any one has advise to help me make them happy and healty?

thx
    Provide them with a good male/female ratio so they can enjoy what they do best.
    Hoppy

Comment

Yeah

but what about water? Is that true that they will not survive with weekly 50% water change?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrice View Post
        Yeah

but what about water? Is that true that they will not survive with weekly 50% water change?
        No, it isn't true. Mine do quite well with both continuous water changing and weekly 50-75% water changes.
        Hoppy

Comment

I started out with a dozen on a 10 gallon and I have many more than that now. They get weekly water changes, and a couple of drops of marine iodide in their water with water changes. This was suggested to me by some guys that keep shrimp, and my numbers of shrimp increased after I started adding it. also like a little lower water temp, around

I do not keep fish this tank so that the baby shrimp are not eaten and that the adults are out and about all the time to be watched.
          http://www.noclownsinacube.net/

Comment

I raised many of them with planted tanks, change water 25% from daily to weekly

Comment

I have never experienced shrimp deaths and I perform 30% to 40% water changes on my 10 gallon shrimp-only tank weekly. Unlike my larger tanks that I fill directly from a Python connected to the sink (I add Prime to the water stream), I ensure that the water is treated in a refill bucket before adding it back to the tank.

Brian

Comment

I think the reason that some people have issues with water changes and shrimp is that person not being careful enough to match temperatures. Shrimp are incredibly sensitive to temp changes etc. But if you match your water best as you can then I wouldnt think youd have any issues.
                Flora

The only things that happen in an aquarium quickly, are BAD

--------------------------
                235 litre
                EI ferts with 2w/g T8 and T5
                CO2 Pressurised system with Rhynox 5000
                --------------------------

http://www.ukaps.org/images/Signiture1.gif

Download the very useful Nutri-Calc v1.9 EI Dosing Calculator by Quenton

Comment

I've used cooler water without issues on most species species.

These shrimp are like flies, at least they breed like them..............

Regards,
                  Tom Barr
                  www.BarrReport.com

Comment

I have them in multiple tanks and they multiply very well in all of them. I often do 50% water changes and have never had any trouble. Some of the other shrimp seem a bit more difficult but the cherries seem to be incredibly hardy and prolific.

Comment

How quickly and easily do these cherry shrimp multiply? I am setting up a 33 gal. tank and I don't know how many to get. I will be putting rainbowfish in with them and I'm worried that they might eat the fry?

thanks!

Comment

I dont know anything about rainbow fish but I have cherries with tetras, rubber mouth plecos, a false SAE, a lonely danio:-), and some ottos. The shrimp breed like crazy. I do 50% WC's weekly and add tap directly to the tank and treat with seachem prime. When I've had issues and had fish die I have lost very few cherries. They seem to be very hardy to me. I bought a package of 20 a few months ago and I have well over 100. I've given some away and I know many have fell victim to my canister filter. I would think 10 or so in a 33 would be more than enough. You'll soon have 90 anyway! They are usually dirt cheap to.
                        Lucas Streit
                        Standard 75 Gallon Low Tech
                        Standard 75 Gallon High Tech

Comment

I can tell you that angel fish will eat them readily.
                          Just bought 20 and the larger angels (2") got after them .
                          Bought 12 Amano shrimp and also were eaten.

Surprisingly, there still are 2-3 of each hiding in the plants.

Comment

Lots of info on this shrimp, and many others at Petshrimp.com

Comment

Thanks for the shrimp info.
                              raul

Comment

Working...
                              X