Discus and the planted tank

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
I am about to aquire a Jewell Trigon 350. The original plan was to turn this into a planted tank but I may have to modify my plans as the tank comes with 6 very large discus.

The lighting has been modified to T5's and should be adequate at 2w per gallon. My main concern is that discus need a higher temperature than most plants like.

I know that giant vallis will survive but what else. It's a super as new tank but I want lots of greenery in there as well as fish. Any help or advice as usual will be appreciated.

Ian

JadeButterfly

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Discus and the planted tank

Hey Ian.

I know most sword plants do well in higher temp. also plants like java fern/anubias will do fine..

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Ian, if you've entered into some Faustian deal and have to keep the Discus, fine, otherwise, I'd lose them in a heartbeat. It's like keeping a St Bernie or
Newfoundland in your prize flower garden....up to you. :D

Bill

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

bill ruyle said:
Ian, if you've entered into some Faustian deal and have to keep the Discus, fine, otherwise, I'd lose them in a heartbeat. It's like keeping a St Bernie or

Bill
Thanks Bill, the thought of getting rid has crossed my mind. Especially after the prices I've seen them sold at.:) I have to admit that there is a bit of a guilt thing attached.

6 six inch discus anyone?..................serious offers only. :cool:

Ian

Jeff Bodin

Junior Poster
Feb 19, 2005

I picked up several 1/2" discus at Christmas from Fairy Lake ($8.00 each and he threw one more in for free!) and put them in my planted tank. I upped the temp to 82o (although I want to bring it back down to 80) - they are doing fine, and so are the plants (with the exception of a little BGA that keeps coming back).

Plants that are doing well for me include:
Hairgrass,
Tiger lotus (started with one, now I have three)
Telenthera,
Wysteria
Riccia,
Rotala Indica
And something someone gave me (but I don't know what it is, how do I post a picture to the forum?)

Plants that I've had trouble with (and I don't believe this was heat related, but related to the reason I got BGA to begin with):
Rotala Macrandra (melted),
Pearlgrass.

I had a couple of swords, but they take up too much room so I'm not their biggest fan and so I got rid of them.

Oh, and the discus are a good 4" now and goergeous (where is my damn dictionary :confused: ).

- Jeff

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

bill ruyle said:

Bill

:confused: Are you saying that discus will rip up/eat plants? Never heard of this. I have discus in a 200l heavily planted tank and have never seen them touch the plants :) .

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

I currently have Crypt. lutea & wendetti, E. bleheri, E. tenellus, Hygrophila difformis, Anubias barteri nana, E. foxtail, E. stellata, Sagittaria pusilla, Rotala rotundifolia, Hygrophila corymbosa Kompakt, Hygrophila corymbosa glabra, Limnophila sessiliflora and Alternanthera reineckii.

Tank temp varies between 27C and 28.5C.

I've had issues with some of the plants but due to deficiencies, not temperatures. And definitely not due to the three Discus.

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Laith said:
:confused: Are you saying that discus will rip up/eat plants? Never heard of this. I have discus in a 200l heavily planted tank and have never seen them touch the plants :) .

No, but they like to eat, and then, they like to excrete :) Basically, I have a
problem with scale: for them to look small would require a much larger tank
than a 100 gallon. I would find big colorful dinnerplates swimming around in
my 'scape to be subtractive. Some of course, like them, just like some people
like St Bernies, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, etc. Give me smaller, shoaling fish anytime. YMMV,

Bill

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

bill ruyle said:
Basically, I have a problem with scale: for them to look small would require a much larger tank than a 100 gallon. I would find big colorful dinnerplates swimming around in my 'scape to be subtractive. Some of course, like them, just like some people like St Bernies, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, etc. Give me smaller, shoaling fish anytime.

Is this another Amano influence gone awry? He made that comment about several tanks in the AGA competition - that the tank didn't look 'big'. I'm heading the other way and have lost interest in the little nervous fish, which is why I'm going to put three large goldfish in my 90 gallon. The bigger fish just have more 'character'. But to each his own... :D

TW

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Tom Wood said:
Is this another Amano influence gone awry?

No, it is only coincidental that he and I share the same when it comes to
aesthetics :)

I'm heading the other way and have lost interest in the little nervous fish, which is why I'm going to put three large goldfish in my 90 gallon.

Well, the spell is woven then...

The bigger fish just have more 'character'. But to each his own... :D

TW

It's a given that you're a character, TW, so naturally your fish would reflect
same :D

I like little nervous fish that school, boy, you rilly hurt my feelings....NOT. :D

Bill

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

As it happens the deal with the tank and big discus there are included 15 cardinal and 25 rummy nose tetras. So maybe it's the best of both worlds. :)

I just want some interesting plants in there as well.

Ian

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

Tom Wood said:
I'm heading the other way and have lost interest in the little nervous fish, which is why I'm going to put three large goldfish in my 90 gallon. The bigger fish just have more 'character'. But to each his own... :D

... now if you call them "KOI" ... everyone will think its COOL!!!!

Our Eastern Iowa Aquarium Association auction is April 9th ... I'm taking two bags of Koi to the auction ...

I would like to swear they look like goldfish ... but the pond police might beat me up for that kind of politically incorrect description ...

Greg

P.S. I am going to have to miss the Americal Livebearers Association conference to work our auction.... :(

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

Greg Watson said:
... now if you call them "KOI" ... everyone will think its COOL!!!!(

Better yet - SUSHI :eek:

I've had it with those little nervous trembly fish. I want something I can reach in and pet! :p

TW

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah, how about a discus and piranha tank? There's the best of both worlds :) 6-8" discus and 12" Natterreri should be compatible enough. Would
probably need a bigger filter tho, for the bioload :eek: Make an excellent petting zoo for TW :rolleyes:

Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

One of my favorite fish are Whimple piranha which would be extremely well suited to a planted tank.

Nice behavior, unusual shape and look good against the plants.

Regards,
Tom Barr