UV sterilizer: 0n 24/7 or occasionally.

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT
I finally broke down and bought a Turbo-twist 18w for my 75 Gal tank. I'll be getting it in about a week. Should I leave this thing on 24/7 or put it on a timer or just run it for 24 hrs after a water change. I also heard that these things can mess with micro nutrients, not sure if its just conjecture.

I bought it because I have some BGA appearing in small clumps on the dwarf hairgrass and on the buds of E stelatta. I'm also battling Greendust and I'm hoping that between this and the paper towel regimen that all this will soon be a memory. There are no other algaes except a little green spot on glass and slow growers which I'm trying to control with more po4.

So what do you think, 24/7, timed or water change?

Marcel

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT
Re: UV sterilizer: 0n 24/7 or occasionally.

Thanks Bill: When I posted this thread I didn't do a search prior. I'm still not sure wether I'm gonna leave it on 24/7 or just after waterchanges since the evidence seems inconclusive. I'm waiting for the UPS truck with my new turbo-twist 18w as I type this. I plan on connecting it tonite.

Marcel

Bill

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Houston, Tx.

I bought the same unit a couple of weeks ago. I have been running it 24/7 since then but I may change to just a couple days after each water change.

At some point in time I will try it both ways and see if I notice any difference.

Bill

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) bill, i have been thinking about a uv for a long time. i'm having a green dust algae issue right now. i allways thought that uv was used for diseases, and bacterial algae like green water. also is 9watt uv big enough for 75 gal tank? tom , please jump in here and let us know if uvs will help erraticate some algea's. regards, cornhusker

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT

It only works on algae that are free floating and that which passes thru the UV. The way I look at it is it should at least contain anything that otherwise would have spread thru the water column. I'm having Green dust issues also. I know that it won't kill whats already growing on the glass. But I figure if I clean the glass and the spores float thru the UV it should help to minimize it.

Marcel