Sump filter media? Best to use?

isfrael

Junior Poster
Jul 23, 2012
Just wondering what people considered to be the best filter media for a FW sump/wet/dry filter?

Bioballs? K1? Etc?

Let me know what you use or recommend?

Planning on setting up my first overflow/sump system and need some advice.

Also after some sump design ideas? How to compartment the sump, etc.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Htomassini

You know I went through this recently. So two years ago I thought I would build my own sump using a 55 gal tank. Twin sock filters with a 30 g sump area. Bio balls. It worked ok. The sock filters kept clogging up. Couldn't polish the water. A month ago the acrylic partitions separated from the silicone and I decided to buy an eshopps regular wet dry.
I used my bio balls from the current sump and used CPR bio bale. We use bio bale at store and we love it because it has a greater bio area and it is easy to clean. You grab whole gallons at a time and swish it in a bucket of ro water. Instead of hundreds little balls rolling all over the place.

So the wet dry comes with pads but I used a foam pad from cobalt that I can cut to size for the drip tray. It is washable at it does not clog like the normal pads. In the pump area I use several sponge blocks. They trap a lot of debris.

This whole setup is much easier to maintain. Even though I loSt 20 gals of sump/water volume it was well worth it.

Henry Tomassini
www.theplantedaquariumstore.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk