cryptocoryne wendtii shoots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cryptocoryne wendtii shoots

I have noticed several of my crypts are sending up hairlike shoots. Does anyone know what they are?

Hi,

They are roots....
    Thanks,

Gerry.

'When something's not right, it's wrong'. Bob Dylan

Current 220 scape

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...3219-220-video

Comment

Shouldn't that be going down not up?

Comment

Maybe Getting Ready to Make A Move

Originally posted by peleg38 View Post
        Shouldn't that be going down not up?
        Hi,

The roots are just checking out the nutrient rich water.

If this is an established plant, it has grown a nice root system in the substrate and now it is just looking around.

If the plant hasn’t been there long then it may be the substrate is nutrient poor.

These guys are root feeders.
        :surprise:

Biollante
        The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
        • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
        • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
        • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Any issue if I trim them?

Comment

Root Feede-- How Nourishing Is The Substrate?

Hi,

I guess my only concern is if it is an inert substrate, especially in a new tank.

These are tough plants.

These guys are root feeders. If it is an enriched substrate or an inert substrate in a well-established tank then it really should not be a problem.

I suppose you could poke around a little (carefully) and see if there is a strong root system.

Biollante
            Last edited by Biollante; 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM. Reason: Font
            The first sign we don't know what we are doing is an obsession with numbers. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Disclaimer: I am not trying to make you mad, it is just what I am, an evil plant monster, 'nuf said.
            • I believe the information I am giving is sound, I am not a veterinarian, professional chemist or particularly bright and certainly not a "Guru.".
            • I assume you are of legal age, competent and it is legal for you to acquire, possess and use any materials or perform any action in your in your jurisdiction.
            • When in doubt "don't."

Comment

I have never seen my C. wendtii develop such growths, but they live in a soil-based tank, so maybe the richness of the substrate has something to do with it.

In my tanks they are very aggressive, spreading via runners to all corners of the tank.

Bill

Comment

The substrate is just Turface with root tabs. Tank has been running in it's current planted form for 5 months. I started CO2 about two months ago and that is about the time I noticed the "growths." Other ferts are pretty minimal. Some excel and flourish trace at water changes.
                Last edited by peleg38; 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Trim Away

Hi,

With root tabs, trim away if you wish.

I have seen a couple of roots on C. wendtii, not quite that growth, perhaps.

I am with Bill it is a very aggressive plant.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Cool. I'll start trimming as soon as my new 24" scissors come in. Thanks for the help.
                    The crypts really are starting to take over a little bit. I'll probably start more aggressive trimming this weekend as they are starting to shade some of my swords (which I can't seem to get to grow up instead of out).

Comment

A Deep Subject

Hi,

The thing I just realized is that the plant in the photo is buried too deep.
                      That may (I really do not know) be the reason for all the roots heading up.

Perhaps a photos of your swords would help, but planting too deep is pretty common in gardening in general.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Comment

The Bee Gees, wow. A little before my time but still an interesting video. Below are some pics of my stalky swords. Any suggestions for how far up I should pull them and the crypts?

Comment

Display the Crown, Said the Queen

Hi,

Before your time…

Based on the photographs all of the plants are too deep.

The “crown,” the point where all of the stalks come together should be above the substrate.

It appears you ought to be able to uncover the crown by gently removing the gravel.

Biollante

• When in doubt "don't."

Comment

Great. I'll give it a go. Thank you very much.

Comment

I too have a lot of these "external roots". I simply trim them. The Crypto Wendtii has been in my tank for a very long time and doing great, so not really something to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X