Breeding suggestions for a co2 tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding suggestions for a co2 tank

Hi! I have a 20g long that I'm setting up as a planted tank with pressurized co2, but have the itch to try some nano fish breeding also. I've previously been successful breeding guppies, endlers, shrimp, and rainbows in other non co2 tanks. I've had guppies also in a co2 tank, but the fry never survived, I think due to the co2. I'm sure there are limitations that fry impose concerning water quality and co2/o2 content, and possibly micro nutrients (myth?). I'm thinking white clouds, chili rasboras, basically anything that is appropriate for that tank size. I'm thinking medium lighting, or maybe a tad less, florin volcanit substrate, other Parameters hard/soft, cool/tropical are up for grabs depending on the fish selected.

Any suggestions as to what "co2 tolerant" species to try, or that you've had success breeding in a co2 tank?
    Last edited by toads74; 01-23-2017, 11:26 PM.

I have bred several fish in my Co2 tank with EI, never had problems. I guess you could have issues if you screw up with too much Co2 or too much micros that can become toxic... but I mean, you really need to screw up a great deal! I wouldn't worry about that if you follow the common rules:

- For Co2, start low and increase it step-by-step very slowly (I.e. 2 weeks time frame) and watch your fish until you reach at least 1 PH drop. If you use a canister filter, you must be more careful than if instead you use a wet dry. And even more careful if you have a canister and a closed tank (less degas, more possibility of Co2 buildup). Fish must be comfortable and not gasping at the surface. Shrimp must be wandering around as usually and being calm, not running or jumping around like crazy all the time.

- For micros dosing, start with giving your plants 0.05 ppm Fe every other day with weekly water change. Then you'll see if you need more.

if you follow the above rules you'll be safe!

Comment

Thanks for the reply fablau. I'm getting things nailed down somewhat I think. Is the .1ppm Fe all via CSM ok?

Im thinking 1/2 EI, since plant mass will be low to start with, dosing macro and micro daily. Getting enough stable co2 has always been the biggest problem I've had in other setups, so I'm working on getting that squared away first. I'm getting a 1.0 ph drop and seems stable at this level so far, though I'm not happy with the looks of the cerges pump and the spray bars, or a tad bit of surface film. More work to do yet.

3x 13w 5000k CFL bulbs +cheap shop reflectors. ~40 par by the calculator.
      6 hour photoperiod
      eheim 2215 canister, lots of bio media, cycled for ~4 months now
      2x10 cerges, Sicce 1.5, co2 injected at the intake + Venturi loop, independent if the canister.
      pressurized co2 with 2-stage reg

Comment

You are very welcome, and on the right track! Your setup looks ok. And yes, I am currently dosing about 0.15 ppm Fe from CSM plus 0.03 ppm Fe from DTPA plus 0.03 Fe from Glutamate a week, but I am lowering CSM even further because it looks like my tank like low dosing, but in your case that'll depend by many factors (substrate, plant mass, light, etc). With 40 PAR at the substrate, I wouldn't dose too much either, I'd do 1/2 EI for macros but I'd lower micros even further, similar to my own schedule (with daily dosing maybe 0.025 ppm Fe from CSM?)

Comment

Sounds good. I'll cut back the micros some more, by 1/3 to make it easy. That would give 0.03 Fe via CSM. The substrate is about 6 months old and was lightly planted so I doubt it's micro depleted yet.

current daily dosing ppm levels:
          0.03 Fe via CSM
          1.6 NO3 via KNO3
          0.3 PO4 via KH2PO4

50 - 80% water change weekly. 100% ro:
          gh 3 - CaSO4, MgSO4, K2SO4. 4:2:1 by volume
          kh 2 - NaCO3
          ph 7.4 degassed
          Last edited by toads74; 02-01-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toads74 View Post
            Sounds good. I'll cut back the micros some more, by 1/3 to make it easy. That would give 0.03 Fe via CSM. The substrate is about 6 months old and was lightly planted so I doubt it's micro depleted yet.

current daily dosing ppm levels:
            0.03 Fe via CSM
            1.6 NO3 via KNO3
            0.3 PO4 via KH2PO4

50 - 80% water change weekly. 100% ro:
            gh 3 - CaSO4, MgSO4, K2SO4. 4:2:1 by volume
            kh 2 - NaCO3
            ph 7.4 degassed
            Sounds good! Keep us posted

Comment

I changed the dosing to what we discussed and the plants are responding positively. I'm seeing healthier new growth, but still getting algae on the older leaves. I think I need to bump up the co2 some more. I recalibrate do the ph probe, 7.2 degassed and 6.2 at its peak. The rotala is the fastest grower at the moment, though everything took a beating until a couple weeks ago.

Here's its neighbor, 20 long also, 2x13w CFL, no co2:

Comment

Good signs! Yes, try to raise Co2 if you can, that'll help even further. Looking forward to see the progress.

Comment

Things are coming along smoothly. Removed the co2 spraybar, good trim, and added some otos a week ago. I had to dial back the co2 for them a little bit and to adjust for the spraybar removal, but working it back up slowly. The two worst plants seem to be recovering now, crypt wendtii and Anubias. I'm beginning to wonder if the tank was suffering from too many or unstable ferts/co2 until switching to daily dosing. The Hc is spreading, which is better than the receding of all my previous attempts at it.

Need to give the otos some recovery time from their pet store experience before doing too much more.

Comment

Looking good! Keep it up!

Comment

So here's an update. Critters are happy and I've started cycling a sponge filter for the fry tank. The guppy popped out some fry the other day but I haven't found any, the two angels probably got them before they had any chance. Next time around the other tank should be ready with the sponge and a bunch of java moss.

Keeping up the dosing at 1/2 EI daily for macros, and 1/3 EI daily for micros, 70% wc weekly. I'm seeing some BBa trying to take over the hc, which is about half covered with it now. BBa is also in the mystery plant on the left of the first pic in post #9. That plant is also getting some melting and larger node spacing than it has in the shrimp tank, so it seems to be in distress. A little BBa also in the baby tears.

I did did find that the co2 output was way lower than it was set, about a .4 ph drop instead of a 1.0 drop. I figured out that the needle valve has some play in the threads that would throw it off if bumped. As long as I put some tension on it it seems to stay for now. Took it apart and seems ok, no debris, so guess I could use a new or better valve...

I've eased the ph drop up to 1.1 in hopes of nixing the bba and melting. It's been 2 weeks since the valve issue and the co2 increase, and doesn't seem to be getting any better.
                      Last edited by toads74; 03-18-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update, hopefully raising the Co2 will fix the BBA.

Comment

Working...
                        X