Rainbow Fish

hani

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
what is so special about Rainbow fish? they don't seem to be that colorful (at least all what i have seen in real) , is there something am missing in there behavior that attract people to buy them?
thanks

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
They Are Called "Rainbow" Fish For A Reason

Hi Hani,

My guess is you are looking at immature Rainbow fish... :confused:

Biollante

hani

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
even the pictures, maybe some orange gold color, and most of the body gray,...still not looking that great.

pepetj

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2008
Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep
Rainbowfish is a common trade name that refers to over a hundred species grouped in 10 genus of which the Melatonaenia is the largest one. There's at least one fish that is commonly labeled as Rainbowfish that is actually a "false" one (common name Celebes Rainbowfish, the Marosatherina ladigesi).

There's a free downloadable book that I consider a very valuable resource of information for my yet young fishkeeping experience with Rainbowfish (since 2008) which you could download for free here:

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Book.htm

As juveniles they won't say much really, they look quite dull but as they mature (it can take over a year to do so) they can be stunning. The most colorful among the commonly available in the trade is the Boesemani Rainbowfish.

The most striking coloration of some Rainbowfish will take place only at mating time as does the M lacustris males display of intense yellow mark in its nape (forehead). It seems that environmental variables -diet, water parmeters- do play a significant role producing notable visual differences within fish specimens from the same species.

I keep a small school of (15) Glossolepis incisus, a large shoal of (90) Iriatherina werneri, a mid-sized shoal of (30) Melatonaenia boesemani and a small school (8) M splendida splendida. In the past I kept a mid sized school (30) of M lacustris.

A great fish for planted tanks.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi hani,

I think you do rainbows and yourself a dis-service by thinking they are not that attractive :)

Have you seen any real healthy rainbows? What about bosemani or red irians? Many colorful species, hardy for the most part, and fast swimmers. Many attractive ones IMO, but then again you like what you like :)

Do a web image search and see if that helps. Or review the link by pepetj.

Looking at a few in the LFS does nothing for almost ANY fish lol

Ekrindul

Guru Class Expert
Jul 9, 2010
Euless, TX
Yeah, seeing them in the LFS will never do them justice. I've spoken to folks running a few stores here and suggested they set these fish up in a well planted tank where they will feel comfortable and more likely to mate. If you could get these fish mating in a store environment, I doubt you'd be able to keep them in stock very long. They change color during mating like a strobe light. It really is amazing to watch them.

I tried to find a video of the fish displaying, but didn't have any luck.

samh

Guru Class Expert
Nov 16, 2010
SE QLD Australia
I highly doubt you'll see decent rainbows in an aquarium in the states. We don't even have nice ones in our Local fish shops and the things are swimming in the creek right behind it. Go to www.rainbowfish.info In europe their highly prized more than here. If you don't see colourful fish there your colourblind. The colour aren't what attracts people as such but the different colour morphs, ease of breeding, energetic swimming and spectacular sparring bouts. Also for those that like nano tanks with shrimp, blue-eyes species and threadfin rainbows are very attractive ans stay small around 3.8cm... 1 1/4 inch.

sanj

Junior Poster
Apr 17, 2008
I think these are quite colourful and real, these are a few of the rainbows in my tank.

[video=youtube;xMvJ_ZXZ7-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvJ_ZXZ7-0[/video]

Or this one from an older tank I used to have:

[video=youtube;nhXc8mAOzz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhXc8mAOzz0[/video]