CPD okay with RCS?

mathman

Guru Class Expert
Mar 8, 2011
California
I am looking to add fish other than Otocinclus in my RCS tank. Are CPD okay with shrimp? Will they eat the baby shrimp?

Thanks

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not Hip Enough to Know All the Abbreviations

Hi,

If CPD means Celestial Pearl Danio, Danio margaritatus then yes there is some danger to very young shrimp. Small invertebrates are what Celestial Pearl Danio’s eat. I think if you inoculate your tank with daphnia and such the baby shrimp will fare better.:)

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Super–Secret “Tiny Critter Inoculation Tool” (Thought You Had Me...)

ShadowMac;80225 said:
Biollante, could you describe how one "inoculates" their tank with daphnia?

Hi Shawn,

Wow, kinda got sidetracked I found this article, Daphnia: An Aquarist's Guide, this is a pretty darn good piece on Daphnia.
:encouragement:

I like to inoculate (vb. #2, literal, tr v. #5 actual
:p), establish colonies of various sorts, depending on the purpose of the tank, early on. :glee:

Moving on as though "inoculates" was not the real point.:nonchalance::eek::glee:

The easiest time to establish colonies of various worms, bacteria, fungus, algae, rotifers, daphnia and such bugs are before the others show up. I try as much as possible to work my way up the food chain. Many of these critters, Daphnia pulex being a great example are actually handy in “cycling” the tank, as they are not all that fussy regarding water conditions.
:)

I always recommend having strong cultures established and that includes there primary food, especially while establishing.
  • Many folks also find a side benefit is that many of their “other” critters breed and thrive, the tendency is to attribute this to the whatever was introduced (Daphnia in this example), I think what is happening is that in feeding and establishing Daphnia is that yeast, bacteria, algae, protozoans and such are also being established.
  • Many more eggs are laid and hatch than people are aware and while predation will likely keep the populations down a few will survive especially in densely planted tanks with decent rock work and my super–secret “Tiny Critter Inoculation Tool” the key being a ready supply of fry food.

The trick to the whole thing is having sponges on any intakes at least until the tiny critters are established. Strategically placing “Tiny Critter Inoculation Tool” in among rock structures, okay a pile of rocks.
  • It often helps to stretch and twist the “Tiny Critter Inoculation Tool” based on just how tiny the tiny critters are.
  • When starting in an established tank it is helpful to protect the area with a net breeder.

Then feed, multiple locations help.
:encouragement::loyal:

Biollante

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
This would be very good for my small danios and dario darios. I may give this a shot. The tank is established, but only shrimp in there at the moment.

Reed.W

Junior Poster
Apr 8, 2012
Hamilton, OH
just to throw this out there, I had 2 cpd with about 5 sakura rcs, in a 55, started about a month ago, yes I think some of the new shrimp got ate, added a female cpd to the mix, right now sitting at about 40 sakuras. my setup is a 55 planted with rcs and cpd flowing into a 55 refugium (containing roselines, zebra danios, killis, and rasboras. some of the babies might have also went through the overflow to the lower tank and got eaten, not sure, but the cpd stay to themselves. eventually once my hc grows in more the cpd and sakura will be moved to the refugium and all the bottom tank mates will go up top

jimbo

Junior Poster
Apr 18, 2012
Highland, Indiana
If the baby shrimp have no cover or places to hide then yes the cpd's can eat them, but it doesn't take long and their too big for the cpd's.I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon tank with lots of plants and I do a 30% water change once a week. This past week I rescued 40 shrimp from my fluval filter. In my experience If you have smaller fish and plenty of cover, even tho 75% of them might get eaten your population of rcs will not only flourish but grow as well.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If the tank is packed with plants and cover and then you add CPD's.........i think it's impossible for them to eat a large dent in the breeding rates of RCS. I have plenty of Checkerboard and Rams and and Apistos, they cannot stop the growth and reproduction rates on mine.