Eheim 1103 Compact+ Marine Needle Wheel Pump

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Has anyone used the Eheim 1103 needle wheel pump for misting? It has a rated adjustable flow from 211 gph to 713 gph? This should be tunable with the Eheim 2028's rated flow of 277 gph.

I'm planning on using one plumbed inline (with the flow turned down to the low side) after an Eheim 2028 (277 gph), Coralife 36w UV and Hydor 300w inline heater. I have it plumbed using Eheim's 16mm/22mm tubing, but I haven't tested it.

Here is what it looks like on Eheim's site. Mine is part number 1103310 and this one's part number is 1003310, but it has the same specs. I wonder if this is a typo?? Anyway here it is: http://www.eheim.com/products/detail/Compact-Marine-pump and one more Eheim 1103 link: http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_28399_ehen and a 3reef link: http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/eheim-1103-protein-skimmer-pump-72232.html

eheim_marine_pump_1103_p1.jpg

eheim1103p-70385-48807-fish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I ended up connecting it to an Eheim Pro II 2028 rated at 277 gph. I really like this pump. It does a very good job. It is a shame that it sells for $180 to $200. If it was much cheaper, I would gladly recommend it.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Left C,

As an FYI I ordered two from the Dr......

The order was just delivered and they sent me.............

Two repair kits for some type of AIR pump.....Needless to say I was a bit disappointed...

Best part is the customer service rep was trying to determine what they had sent me, but COULD NOT MAKE USE OF THE UPC/BAR code info on the part label!

Looking now for someone else that carries it. I saw a web retailer for 176 ea but I have never done business with them before and will need to check them out if possible...

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
What a bummer! That sure is weird! I don't see the 1103 pumps listed on the Drs site any more. Premium Aquatics had them for $99 in an overstock sale a while back, but I don't see them listed at all now. I hope that you are able to get them. I really like mine.

Mark Lem

Guru Class Expert
Dec 4, 2006
Question: if using this pump inline with Eheim canister, how/where do you connect the CO2 line?

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Mark Lem;76317 said:
Question: if using this pump inline with Eheim canister, how/where do you connect the CO2 line?
There are two ways to connect the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] tubing.

First way: Look at the part in front of the two barbed fittings. It has a place on the side, like a small tube sticking out, where the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] tubing connects.

eheim1103p-70385-48807-fish.jpg

Check out part #10 on page 2. It is a diagram that shows the tubing connecting part. You can't see it, but the tubing connection forms a venturi on the inside: http://www.eheim.com/files/image/1103_Anleitung.pdf

From the 3Reef link above. You can see this part when it is connected to the intake of the pump.

eheim_11033_reef.jpg

Second way: Another way to connect it is to omit this part and use an Aqua Medic 15mm x 4mm Reducing Tee. You connect the filter's 16/22 mm tubing to each side and the CO[SUB]2[/SUB] tubing to the 4mm part of the Tee.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
These 1103's are being closed out at various places. Maybe you can find a deal on one.

I really like mine. It does a terrific job!

charlie

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2006
Left C;76352 said:
These 1103's are being closed out at various places. Maybe you can find a deal on one.

I really like mine. It does a terrific job!
If you guys find any @ closed out prices can you please post here.
Thanks

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Left C I have a Eheim 1103 Compact+ Marine Needle Wheel Pump for quite some time now. When I used the pump, it worked very well however I remember Jart was having a problem with his. I think he finally realized it was the way he connected the pump that was the culprit.

I've been gone a while but ready to get my 45C (18x18x18) up and running. I'll be using the pump with this tank as well and once its up, I'll post picks of it in action. Here are some photos of my pump:

eheim-marine.jpg

eheim-adjust.jpg

barb.jpg

CO2.jpg

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Hi dantra

jart sure had a hard time with his pump. Did he get his setup finalized?

I have my 1103 plumbed inline with my Eheim 2028 filter using Eheim's 594 16/22 (5/8") tubing. The flow comes out of Eheim's optional Installation Set 2 spray bar. It does a terrific job! I have plenty of flow in my 40 breeder. It is quite strong.

This is the order that I have everything plumbed:
intake -> Eheim 2028 Pro II filter -> Coralife 36w UV -> Hydor 300w 5/8" heater -> Eheim 1103 needle wheel pump -> spray bar

Since the pump is made for use in a protein skimmer, I didn't know how well that it would work as a stand alone unit. This is why I plumbed it inline. The pump is rated from 211 to 713 gph. I didn't know if this meant gallons of water or gallons of froth. :D

Anyway, I am quite pleased with it. Mine is inside an enclosed stand and I do not hear it running.

I did make a mistake when I installed it. I overtightened the intake part where the tubing connects and cracked it. I ended up using an Aqua Medic 15mm x 4mm x 15mm reducing Tee that I had laying around instead. This works fine. I feel like a dummy for overtightening it. I just wanted to give everything a final twist to make sure that everything was good and tight.

This is the part that I cracked. It is from dantra's photos above:
CO2.jpg

Good luck with your setup, dantra!

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Thanks Left C, yes I believe Jart finally rearranged his entire tubing and he got it working. I was worried about the CO2/air being trapped in the heater so used the pump as a stand-alone unit. It worked out quite well. The Hydor Heater was attached to the 2217 but I had a wye at the end of the pump and filter right before it entered the tank. View photo below:

left.jpg

Here is the photo of the intake for both the pump and filter. As you can see, the Eheim 1103 Compact+ Marine Needle Wheel Pump has a sponge that filtered the water before entering. It wasn't the prettiest looking thing but it did keep the debris/fauna out of the pump. The best part of the sponge was the maintenance. All I had to do was rinse off the sponge every time I did a water change and put it back. Here is the photo:

seperate.jpg

Here is the 45-C I'm going to use. I'm rather stumped about a scape but I have time to figure it out :D

dantra.png

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I'm glad that your 1103 is working well. Thanks for the very informative description and pictures. It is good to know that it will work as a stand alone unit.

It's great that jart got his going. I know he is very glad that it is working after sinking $250+ in it.

Have you noticed that Eheim has another Compact+ Marine needle wheel pump? It is Model: 1003310. http://www.eheim.com/products/detail/Compact-Marine-pump

Our 1103 is called Article No. 1103310: http://www.eheim.com/downloads/detail/24

Do you know about this other needle wheel pump?

Your 45-C is a tall sucker! It will be an interesting aquascape!!

Check this out as an idea for your 45-C: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dLSVgS5Ax...2E/cY3WsMUCoP4/s1600/MomentattheRiverside.jpg
It is found near the bottom of this. http://completeaquarium.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
I had no idea that eheim had another version of the pump. I looked at the specs and they seem comparable I’ll call Eheim on Monday when I have some time and inquire about the difference, I’ll keep you posted.

The 45-C is 18x18x18, 24 gallons. I have just about everything I need to get started which brings me to my next question.

Should I use the Tek lights? I was thinking about the fishneedit 70w Metal Halide Pendant Lights or the ARCHAEA compact light fixture? The Tek light fixture overhangs on the sides and may be too much light for the tank even though I'll be using two bulbs. A lot of light spillage. The tank is 18” while the Tek fixture is 24”. The other two would not only look better because they fit size wise but it also has less light spillage. Any thoughts?

By the way, thanks for the links.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
dantra;77308 said:
... Should I use the Tek lights? I was thinking about the fishneedit 70w Metal Halide Pendant Lights or the ARCHAEA compact light fixture? The Tek light fixture overhangs on the sides and may be too much light for the tank even though I'll be using two bulbs. A lot of light spillage. The tank is 18” while the Tek fixture is 24”. The other two would not only look better because they fit size wise but it also has less light spillage. Any thoughts? ....
What about LED? Cheaper in the long run.

I used a 20" 2x40w Orbit PC made by Current-USA on a 20" long and 18" tall aquarium. Its reflector is excellent as in AHSupply quality. You can use Current-USA 40w dual daylight 6700K/10,000K PC's and/or ADA 36w 8000K PC's. http://www.aquasythe.com/Products/20-2x40W-Orbit-PC-Fixturebr-by-Current-USA__LT-CR-OR-20-2X40.aspx I probably won't use mine and I have extra bulbs for it. PM if interested.

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
Not sure about the direction I'll go with lighting yet but I'll keep you posted. About the pumps, I called Eheim of North America today but they were closed. I'll try again sometime this week.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Well, my supply (4) of reducing Ts came today, finally!

So, I now have all the parts I need for the install. The eheim tubing fits nicely over the T end barbs and the c02 tubing I have fits perfectly tight on the air/c02 port. So, should be easy to install. I will use clamps for the water connections on the T and a ziptie on the c02 port. Need to teflon tape all the threaded connections, but should be quick and ez.

I just need to compare the ph to the current as I will use the SAME existing bubble rate.

I may do this tonight after c02 is off. I can take a long lunch tomorrow and watch the ph and the fish/critters..Very excited to try this pump and to remove the INTERNAL NW pump, cord, and c02 tubing. Then only the MP40 will be visible in tank..

Excellent (in a Mr. Burn's voice lol)..

I hope to post new results tonight post install and then again tomorrow!

I will only install one of my eheim NW on the 220 and may use the other on a new 57 gal...

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Hi Gerry

I'm sure that you will like your Eheim needle wheel pumps. Why did you get 4 Tee's? For extras? You only need 2.

Left C

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I got the thread information on the Eheim's intake connector. The male threads on the pump are G 1". The female thread on the intake connector is G 1". The male thread is 1" NPT (11½ threads per inch).

eheim_11033_reef.jpg